cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TarcMaylor Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Resizing Bar Width in Clustered Column Chart

I'm building a clustered column chart (photo below), and would like to resize the width of the bars in that chart if possible, but I am not having any luck finding a way to do this.  I know that other version of this has been asked and answered already (http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/chart-column-width/m-p/17749#M5116), but the answer to those questions was "you are missing a field for your Axis", meanwhile I already have an axis value.  

Any help?  Thanks!

Power BI_Example.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: Resizing Bar Width in Clustered Column Chart

@TarcMaylor,

There is no method that could be used to change width of column unless we resize the whole chart to make the column wider. There is also an idea about adjusting blank space, you can vote it up.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
9 REPLIES 9
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

@TarcMaylor,

You are able to change width of the whole chart as shown in screenshot below. However, it is not possible to resize bar width of a single bar, an idea about this issue has been submitted in this link, please vote it up.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
TarcMaylor Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for any option *except* for resizing the entire chart though... I'm not looking to change the size of one of the bars, but actually all of them. There is so much wasted, blank space on that chart that it seems like it would make it easier to see the data if all of the columns could be wider. Does it make it any more possible if I'm wanting to change the width of every column and not just one of them?
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

@TarcMaylor,

There is no method that could be used to change width of column unless we resize the whole chart to make the column wider. There is also an idea about adjusting blank space, you can vote it up.

Regards,

jj5786 Visitor
Visitor

"No Method to change the width of the bar chart"  This is NOT a solution.

I too am in the same situation - would like to increase the width of the bar charts since there is so much white space.

Jose

IonelaP Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

A:

The usual way to change the width of the vertical bars in a Column chart type is to change the gap width (in all versions of Excel, Windows and Mac).

Select the data series by clicking on one of the bars (just to be sure the data series is selected). 

Right-click or control-click, and choose Format Data Series from the context menu. 

In the Format Data Series dialog box, select Options. 

Then change the Gap width.

For wider bars, make the gap width smaller. 

For narrower bars, make the gap width larger.

-  Mike Middleton, www.TreePlan.com
IonelaP Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac-mso_mac2011/how-do-you-cha...

A:

The usual way to change the width of the vertical bars in a Column chart type is to change the gap width (in all versions of Excel, Windows and Mac).

Select the data series by clicking on one of the bars (just to be sure the data series is selected). 

Right-click or control-click, and choose Format Data Series from the context menu. 

In the Format Data Series dialog box, select Options. 

Then change the Gap width.

For wider bars, make the gap width smaller. 

For narrower bars, make the gap width larger.

-  Mike Middleton, www.TreePlan.com
HankTheTank New Member

What everyone that is asking for this wants to do is to control the use of white space around a chart _and_ the width of the bars. This is a very reasonable thing to ask because without it the charts are not balanced in the amount of space they use -- for example, a chart with only 5 bars, if displayed in a larger width area, will be centered and have an unusual amount of white space around it, yes the bars will be bigger, but I want them over to the left, not centered, and I want them much wider than they will be if I shrink the width of the whole chart.

aswinrhs Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Go to Format option and type Padding. In X-axis, you will find inner padding %. Now, change the % and you can see the width of the column altered. Padding.PNGChanging the width of a column

AustinSpina Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Also under X-axis adjusting "Minimum Category Width" helps better than reducing the padding I found.

Capture.PNG