Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TarcMaylor
Advocate I
Advocate I

Resizing Bar Width in Clustered Column Chart

I'm building a clustered column chart (photo below), and would like to resize the width of the bars in that chart if possible, but I am not having any luck finding a way to do this.  I know that other version of this has been asked and answered already (http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/chart-column-width/m-p/17749#M5116), but the answer to those questions was "you are missing a field for your Axis", meanwhile I already have an axis value.  

Any help?  Thanks!

Power BI_Example.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@TarcMaylor,

There is no method that could be used to change width of column unless we resize the whole chart to make the column wider. There is also an idea about adjusting blank space, you can vote it up.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
-Adam-

If the x-axis is reading from a date format:

• Double click on the x-axis in your chart to show the "Format Axis" fly-out on the right side of the window
  • If it's not already expanded, go to "Axis Options" and under "Axis Type" and select "Text Axis".  This immediatly widened the columns to what I would normally expect and it allowed further manipulation with Gap Width and Overlap settings.

Adam_1-1709241971945.png

Double-click on the columns to bring up this fly-out to adjust Series Overlap and Gap Width:

Adam_3-1709242067522.png

wbwest59

As usual with Power BI, no true answers.  

KiranBeethoju
Advocate I
Advocate I

Step - 1

Select Clustered Column Chart from Visualizations, drag your data columns into visual

Step - 2

Click on your visual, goto Format and enable X-axis, 

Step - 3

In X axis settings you can see Minimum Category width and inner padding tweak them as your wish

Problem solved 😊

jeffmjohnson330
Frequent Visitor

You have to make sure under X axis that the Type is "Categorical" and not "Continuous" otherwise it won't let you adjust the category width.

cluster column chart bars is supposed to render categorical data and not contineous data. if you can catogories data and add that category field in column legend well then you can adjust spacing and width.

for example

if you have quarter on x axis and month as column legend then for each quarter you expect 3 bars in clustered column bar with some spacing and then next quarter, however clusted column chart will display 3 bars but white space for 9+1 more bars. as a quarter has only 3 months data and for rest 9 months it render 0 value which looks like white space.

a year data -> 4 quarters -> 12 months(means 12 category)

pic1.PNG

Work around to fix this -> make new field as 'month category' which includes only respective months for quarter.

a year data -> 4 quarters -> 3 months type( means 3 category)

3 months type would be ->

month 1 ->which represnt first month of a quarter -> Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct

month 2 -> which represnt second month of a quarter -> Feb, May, Aug, Nov

month 3 -> which represnt third month of a quarter -> March, June, Sep, Dec

now keeping this month type field in 'column legend' well will display 3 bars and one white space for each quarter

pic2.PNG

Thanks for correct answer, finally this solved the problem. 😀

my problem was to display multiple column legends with more width, I created new column with category and replaced in column legend. 

example ->converted  "Quarter(month) =  Q1 ( 1,2,3), Q2 (4,5,6), Q3 (7,8,9), Q4(10,11,12)"

to

Quarter(Month type) =  Q1 ( 1,2,3), Q2 ( 1,2,3, Q3 ( 1,2,3), Q4( 1,2,3)

aswinrhs
Advocate I
Advocate I

Go to Format option and type Padding. In X-axis, you will find inner padding %. Now, change the % and you can see the width of the column altered. Changing the width of a columnChanging the width of a column

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also under X-axis adjusting "Minimum Category Width" helps better than reducing the padding I found.

Capture.PNG

Has anyone found a better solution or workaround to this? Adjusting the inner padding or column width made very little change for me. Another chart type that can support field based target with conditional coloring on the bars (below or above target) would be fine.

Trying to get this right as well. I find the parameters of X axis are not doing anything. All I get is this silly looking chart:

2020-01-06 (3).png

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@TarcMaylor,

You are able to change width of the whole chart as shown in screenshot below. However, it is not possible to resize bar width of a single bar, an idea about this issue has been submitted in this link, please vote it up.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for any option *except* for resizing the entire chart though... I'm not looking to change the size of one of the bars, but actually all of them. There is so much wasted, blank space on that chart that it seems like it would make it easier to see the data if all of the columns could be wider. Does it make it any more possible if I'm wanting to change the width of every column and not just one of them?

@TarcMaylor,

There is no method that could be used to change width of column unless we resize the whole chart to make the column wider. There is also an idea about adjusting blank space, you can vote it up.

Regards,

I am finding that all of the suggestions, do not work for the most part.  In Excel, one can easily make each column wider and reduce the amount of white space on the graph.  Though dynamic, the visuals are very limited and very frustrating when trying to make visually appealing.  Changes and formatting should not be this complicated.  I wish I could increase the width of my columns to the size of the visual at the top of this page.

What everyone that is asking for this wants to do is to control the use of white space around a chart _and_ the width of the bars. This is a very reasonable thing to ask because without it the charts are not balanced in the amount of space they use -- for example, a chart with only 5 bars, if displayed in a larger width area, will be centered and have an unusual amount of white space around it, yes the bars will be bigger, but I want them over to the left, not centered, and I want them much wider than they will be if I shrink the width of the whole chart.

"No Method to change the width of the bar chart"  This is NOT a solution.

I too am in the same situation - would like to increase the width of the bar charts since there is so much white space.

Jose

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac-mso_mac2011/how-do-you-cha...

A:

The usual way to change the width of the vertical bars in a Column chart type is to change the gap width (in all versions of Excel, Windows and Mac).

Select the data series by clicking on one of the bars (just to be sure the data series is selected). 

Right-click or control-click, and choose Format Data Series from the context menu. 

In the Format Data Series dialog box, select Options. 

Then change the Gap width.

For wider bars, make the gap width smaller. 

For narrower bars, make the gap width larger.

-  Mike Middleton, www.TreePlan.com

A:

The usual way to change the width of the vertical bars in a Column chart type is to change the gap width (in all versions of Excel, Windows and Mac).

Select the data series by clicking on one of the bars (just to be sure the data series is selected). 

Right-click or control-click, and choose Format Data Series from the context menu. 

In the Format Data Series dialog box, select Options. 

Then change the Gap width.

For wider bars, make the gap width smaller. 

For narrower bars, make the gap width larger.

-  Mike Middleton, www.TreePlan.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.