Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Resize Bar Width?

Is it possible to make bars in a stacked chart wider than they appear by default?

I'd like a wide 100% stacked bar to represent my data, but would have to make a bar chart unfeasibly large to get the bar wide enough.  Currently I'm using a treemap for the visualisation, but they change shape and order depending on the data values.

bar1.jpgbar2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For single bar in chart, this can be a problem. I recommend you submit a feature request about adding a size property under Format tab for stacked chart visualization on: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

In Power BI, the width of bars in stacked/100%stacked column chart is also based on data values. Since the shape of a bar is measured with other bars as well, we have to resize entire chart to resize those bars.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-sihou-msft

I understand that's how it currently works, but if you look at other chart products (such as Excel), you can resize the width of bars to be more visually pleasing.

See this screenshot as an example of how much space gets wasted:

, charttoosmall.png

The bar (the actual star of the show), takes up around 20% of the chart area.  It's not good.

For single bar in chart, this can be a problem. I recommend you submit a feature request about adding a size property under Format tab for stacked chart visualization on: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @v-sihou-msft ,

Is it available now in Oct 2020 or still not a feature? Thanks

This is not a solution. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-sihou-msft  How can I do this for all the bars in a Clustered Bar Chart?

Thanks, Bhoga

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.