Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Worldbreaker
Helper I
Helper I

Requiring Power BI Pro

I have new guys that wanted to try power bi.

so  I shared some of my reports, when they downloaded their Power BI desktop, and tried opening up the report,

they are told they need to sign up for power bi pro to view the report.

I tried sharing a report that just came from an excel sheet and it said the same thing, they need to sign up for Power BI pro

they dont want to because to them, it is only for 60 days, after that, they wont see the report again..

is that the right assumption? and why are they required to sign up for pro even for reports that just came from excel?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just got this from the June update;

"Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017.

This update will provide you with enhanced data capacity and refresh rates, as well as unlimited access to all data sources. Dashboard sharing will no longer be part of Power BI Free, but will still be available with Power BI Pro"

Going forward, we will improve the free service to have the same functionality as Power BI Pro, but will limit sharing and collaboration features to only Power BI Pro users.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Worldbreaker,

In your scenario, the users that you share reports to can use Power BI Pro trial. And the users can request to extend the trial period for 60 more days

Another option is that you use "Publish to web" functionality to share reports. In this case, the users who view the reports don't need to have Power BI accounts. But please note that when you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet, do not publish confidential or proprietary information.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

so, basically, everyone from here on out, need to have power bi pro even if I am only sharing a report that's from an Excel spreadsheet?

The source of your data is not relevant to the licensing of PowerBI.com  If you want to share Excel data for free, then send them the Excel spreadsheet.  If you want to share using the excellent new features offered by PowerBI.com, then you can do so for just $9.99 per user per month.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

I just got this from the June update;

"Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017.

This update will provide you with enhanced data capacity and refresh rates, as well as unlimited access to all data sources. Dashboard sharing will no longer be part of Power BI Free, but will still be available with Power BI Pro"

Going forward, we will improve the free service to have the same functionality as Power BI Pro, but will limit sharing and collaboration features to only Power BI Pro users.

You can take a power bi desktop file, send it to them via email (or other method). They can download Power bi desktop for free and open the report regardless of the source of the loaded data. If you want to share using PowerBI.com then it is a paid service and you need pro for you and them regardless of the data source loaded. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

if I send the power bi file itself, it would mean that they would be able to modify the data itself, is that right?

I would just like to share them the report itself.

I publish it then share it to them.

Yes, if you send them the file, then they can edit their copy of the file.  It is easy to share using PowerBI.com, and it is very cheap for this enterprise quality software - just $9.99 per user per month.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.