Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jay_JAM
Frequent Visitor

Requirement to embed a dynamic report on a website

I am new to Power BI and wanted to confirm if Power BI can support the requirement I have.

I need to extract data from mySQL for the creation of the report. Have therefore installed the desktop version of Power BI.

I then need to create reports that are to be embedded in our website that users will access using their supplied User ID and password.

Additionally, the same report needs to be displayed for different users based on the institution from where they are logging on. So if they log on from University X then they need to be displayed data for University X. The report is the same but the data is different. Do I need to create different reports for all the institutions separately or can this be dynamic and I just create one report?

Also, can Power BI reports support filtering by time? So if I want can I see data for a month/year etc. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Jay_JAM

Per your requirements, my answers list below:

1. the same report needs to be displayed for different users based on the institution from where they are logging on. So if they log on from University X then they need to be displayed data for University X. The report is the same but the data is different.

-> you don't need to create reports many times.

Add another email address column for the instructors in your table, then use USERNAME() function to implement dynamic row level security as described in the following similar blog.
http://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-power-bi-made-simple

2.I then need to create reports that are to be embedded in our website that users will access using their supplied User ID and password.

->To embed the report into the website, please consider Power BI embed, more details below

Walkthrough of New Power BI Embedded 

3.can Power BI reports support filtering by time? So if I want can I see data for a month/year etc

->where you'd like to filter?

(1)If you want to filter within power bi, you could use filters or slicers on the report.

Report filter

(2)If you want to share a report filtered by time with others, you could do this by creating a custom URL.

(3) If you mean after embed report to your website, on the report in your website, you could also filter the report to see desired data.

Best Regards

Maggie

Thanks

1. the same report needs to be displayed for different users based on the institution from where they are logging on. So if they log on from University X then they need to be displayed data for University X. The report is the same but the data is different.

-> you don't need to create reports many times.

Add another email address column for the instructors in your table, then use USERNAME() function to implement dynamic row level security as described in the following similar blog.
http://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-power-bi-made-simple

---> My requirement is to embed a report. In that scenario the logged on external user will be using their credentials for our website. They are not Power BI users and not internal to the organisation. How would row level security work in this scenario?  

Thanks,

Jay

Hi @Jay_JAM

Regarding Row level security (RLS) with power bi embbed content, 

If you are embedding to Power BI users (user owns data), within your organization, RLS works the same as it does within the Power BI service directly.

If you're embedding for non-Power BI users (app owns data), which is typically an ISV scenario, you need to configure the embed token to account for the user and role. Read article below to learn how to do this.

Use row-level security with Power BI embedded content

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.