Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Require IP range for whitelisting to access the Azure SQL server database from Power BI service

Hello,

My Power BI service resides in NORTH EUROPE region and I need the relevant list/range of IPs to be whitelisted in the Firewall settings of Azure in order to enable my report to be able to do schedule refreshes from the Azure SQL database.

Can anyone please help me out here?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
8 REPLIES 8
technolog
Super User
Super User

@PC2790 @v-deddai1-msft @selimovd 

Please share your experience if possible! How do you have everything set up now? Did everything work stably using ip-whitelist? Have you tried using domains?

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @PC2790 ,

you don't really need that. Just go to your Azure SQL and allow Azure services in the firewall settings:

selimovd_1-1626701179204.png

Like this Power BI Service can connect to your database.

Check the following article how to do that:

Virtual network endpoints and rules for databases in Azure SQL Database - Azure SQL Database | Micro...

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thankyou @selimovd for a quick response.

I'll ask my Azure Team to check that. One question, does it pose any security risk?

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @selimovd ,

The current settings that we have is this:

PC2790_0-1626703582638.png

Is it right?

Hey @PC2790 ,

yes, that setting is right.

The safest approach is to have a computer without internet at all. That would make it hard to steal your data. But it would also limit your possibilities.

Except for that, every access is an additional security risk. Maybe one day there is a bug in the connection between Power BI and Azure SQL, nobody knows that. But as it's used quite a lot and Microsoft is investing a lot to keep Azure safe, I think the risk is acceptable. You always have to decide for yourself.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

This setting doesn't work.

I think that's because I am not using any gateway. I am directly adding credentials in the dataset settings section and directly trying to access the Azure SQL server database.

When I try to refresh the data, it gives e the IP address error and when I add that to the Firewall settings, it works.

The problem is that the IP keeps on changing every now and then and that is why I needed a range of IPs to be whitelisted.

I hope I was able to make you understand my requirement.

Thankyou @v-deddai1-msft 

It really has some good material to go through.

In the approach where the IPs are getting whitelsited, Is there any way to limit the range for NORTH EUROPE region?

Actually I don't want to go with the gateway approach considering the complexity.

So, want to stil with IP whitelisting thing

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.