Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DeBIe
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Requesting help for customer requirement

Hello everybody,

I've been spending a while thinking on how to solve a customer question. Can't get it to work like the way the customer wants to see it (check the desired result at the bottom). I have provided example data. Hopefully someone can help me.

I have a list of available codes per sector (template). I also have a list of companies with a sector and a code (fact table). A code can occur multiple times for a company. The customer wants to see an overview of all companies and which codes from the template have been used (including those who have not been used). There is an example below. Let me know if there further explanation needed. Thank you very much!

Example data

Template Codes (dimension)

SectorCode

Company Codes (fact)

CompanySectorCode
Microsoft12000
Microsoft13000
Microsoft13000
Microsoft13000
Microsoft14000
Microsoft14000
Microsoft14000
Apple1.111
Apple1.111
Google29999

Desired result:

CompanySectorTemplate codes

TemplateCode_IsNotInCompanyCodes(0),

TemplateCode_IsInCompanyCodes (1),
TemplateCode_IsDoubleOrMoreInCompanyCodes (2 or more)

Microsoft110000
Microsoft120001
Microsoft130003
Microsoft140003
Apple1.1112
Apple1.1120
Google22500
Google22750

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @DeBIe,

You can create a calculated column on the template table to lookup values from the company table, then you can write a measure to calculate the count.

Calculate column:

Company = LOOKUPVALUE('Company Code'[Company],'Company Code'[Sector],'Template Codes'[Sector])

Measure formula:

formula =
CALCULATE (
    COUNTA ( 'Company Code'[Code] ) + 0,
    FILTER (
        ALLSELECTED ( 'Company Code' ),
        'Company Code'[Code]
            IN VALUES ( 'Template Codes'[Code] )
                && 'Company Code'[Sector] IN VALUES ( 'Template Codes'[Sector] )
    )
)

1.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @DeBIe,

You can create a calculated column on the template table to lookup values from the company table, then you can write a measure to calculate the count.

Calculate column:

Company = LOOKUPVALUE('Company Code'[Company],'Company Code'[Sector],'Template Codes'[Sector])

Measure formula:

formula =
CALCULATE (
    COUNTA ( 'Company Code'[Code] ) + 0,
    FILTER (
        ALLSELECTED ( 'Company Code' ),
        'Company Code'[Code]
            IN VALUES ( 'Template Codes'[Code] )
                && 'Company Code'[Sector] IN VALUES ( 'Template Codes'[Sector] )
    )
)

1.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hey @v-shex-msft ,

Thank you very much for helping me. 

I provided sample data in my post and I tested your logic with that sample data and it works. But for my real dataset, I am getting this error when creating the lookup column. I don't understand why it works for sample data and not for my real dataset.

DeBIe_0-1653653294042.png

@v-shex-msft 

For some reason I had to use this alternative for the lookup to get it working: 
Solved: LOOKUPVALUE - "A table of multiple values was supp... - Microsoft Power BI Community 

Thanks for your help!

@v-shex-msft 

At first sight I thought it was working, but using the alternative for lookup gives me invalid results. Any ideas why the normal Lookup is not working? I made sure I got no blanks in the query editor. In the report view I am also not seeing any duplicates.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.