Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Vanya
Regular Visitor

Request help with table relationships

Dear All,

I am a beginner in Power BI, I am having trouble in building table relationships for one of my reports. I guess I have built a loop which is preventing me from getting the desired output. When I try to create report, I am recieving the relationship error message.

DataModel.PNG

Please click here for sample pbix file. The expected output report should have the following columns.

NameCitySedateFnameLnamePresentTypeFname

Any help or support in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Regards,

Vaniya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Vanya,

AFAIK single relationship only works on one side.(one side filter many side)

For your scenario, it obviously need to enable 'both' option for 'cross filter direction'.(current power bi can't accurate mapping records through multiple tables with single relationships)

Based on test, your report contains conflict available relationships which power bi not support.

So you can't modify relationship filter mode at tables who contains conflict multiple available relationship.(P_EA, SE_EA, P_GBM, GB_GBM)

In my opinion, you need to deactivate one of above relationships and modify other tables to 'cross filter direction' 'both', then write measures with userelationship function to active relationship to calculated result to replace not available relationships.

Reference:

Using USERELATIONSHIP function in Measures and Calculated Columns #dax #powerpivot #ssas

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Vanya,

AFAIK single relationship only works on one side.(one side filter many side)

For your scenario, it obviously need to enable 'both' option for 'cross filter direction'.(current power bi can't accurate mapping records through multiple tables with single relationships)

Based on test, your report contains conflict available relationships which power bi not support.

So you can't modify relationship filter mode at tables who contains conflict multiple available relationship.(P_EA, SE_EA, P_GBM, GB_GBM)

In my opinion, you need to deactivate one of above relationships and modify other tables to 'cross filter direction' 'both', then write measures with userelationship function to active relationship to calculated result to replace not available relationships.

Reference:

Using USERELATIONSHIP function in Measures and Calculated Columns #dax #powerpivot #ssas

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.