Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bryceicals
Frequent Visitor

Republishing a report Creates a new Report and Dataset rather than replacing the existing one

Halfway through publishing my reports, Power BI Desktop suddenly stopped replacing my existing reports online and began creating duplicate copies.

These duplicates have the same name as the original copies and are not linked to the dashboards causing these to not update automatically.

According to the Power BI documentation (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-upload-desktop-files/) :

"When you re-publish your Power BI Desktop file, the dataset in your Power BI site will be replaced with the updated dataset from the Power BI Desktop file."

Has anyone experienced this before and found out what is causing this?

Thanks,

Bryce

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I am having the same issue as well. For me, it is because I replublishing the report I downloaded was the duplicated repo from the main report in PowerBI Online. I think re-publishing the duplicated report in Powerbi Online is not able to replace it?

Current Solution:
1. Changes that not related to DAX/Power Query Editor - change in PowerBI Online.
2. Change relaed to DAX/Power Query Editor - change in PowerBI Desktop by downloading the main report in PowerBI Online.

Hope this give you a clear road of this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also facing the same issue. After clicking on Publish button, it's asking me to replace but still creates a new copy in the service. Also, the name of the file is same and I'm using the same credentials for both desktop and service.

Can somebody help me please ??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

has anyone solved this??

Is it because someone else in the team firstly published the report, and now if you try to do it even though its the same name it will not replace it because you were not the original publisher?   

Its strange because it shouldnt be this way because you are in the same team, and same workspace its published in, and the owner of the report is the team name. 

Thanks

Raj

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous,

I don't know if it helps you, Please check in Power BI Service that the report is linked to the right dataset. This was the problem with my case.

Initially when the report was published the name was "Report1" and the dataset linked to it was uploaded with the same name by default. But another colleague renamed the report only to "Final Report1", in the power BI service and saved it (dataset name was still the old one). So, when I downloaded it and republish it after making some changes in the same workspace, it was uploaded as a new instance, but with a new dataset named "Final Report1". This is why it was not replacing the report.

So, In power BI service look for the mapping of both the reports and dataset linked to it.

I hope this will solve your issue.

Thanks.

I also have the problem of renamed the report and therefor it creates a new dataset.
Which makes it create a new report and a new dataset when I publish it.

I'm now wondering if there is a way to get the old report to use the "new dataset" instead... they are identical. But I can't find a way.

Would like to avoid changing all the links everyone is using that points to the old report.

soham2000
Regular Visitor

Facing the same issue. Can some one kindly help?

Hi Soham,

Turns out I was publishing a report using my PowerBI account, but logged onto the PowerBI Web on my Boss's Account.

As a result, the new report I was publishing wasn't showing up on his.

Make sure you are signed in with the same account both on Web and in the Desktop.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

I faced the same issue.

While publishing a report, it creates a new report with the same name instead of replacing the existing one.

I was logged in the web and desktop with the same credentials.

Can anyone please help me?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That's certainly odd. I have not experienced that before and in fact just did a replacement of a data source tonight and it worked as it should, about 7-7:30PM EST (-5 GMT). Do you get the warning that you are about to replace a data set when you publish the Power BI file?

Weird.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I used to get the warning before running into this issue, however it no longer appears.

I've looked into naming conventions of the files but nothing has changed from before I had problems.

I would definitely go to support.powerbi.com and use the Contact Support tile to report this issue. You could also send a "frowny face" from the Service and use the screen shot functionality to show the duplicate dataset issue. One other thing to do would be to turn on tracing, publish your report and then send the trace file to support.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors