Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pbi07
Helper V
Helper V

Representing Month by data in the chart

Hello Folks

Trying to provide a chart that presents the view of the monthly Total Invoices & Receipts by customer. I tried using the water fall chart and i am having a hard time to figure out how to keep the Months in the order in the chart. 

2 Questions.

Is Waterfall chart the right one to repersent this and is there a better way to display the months in the order? 

Customer Table 

Customer

Invoices Table

Customer  Total Invoice   Invoice Date

2000186542/7/2019
200584322/8/2019
200099761/8/2019
279358214/2/2019
200819044/2/2019

Customer Total Receipt  Receipt Date

2000150322/20/2019
200091001/25/2019
200564323/1/2019
200520003/1/2019

Calendar table has corresponding Month & year. 

DateMonth in Calendar

1/1/2019Jan-19
2/1/2019Feb-19
3/1/2019Mar-19
4/1/2019Apr-19

My chart has Month & year in break down and customer in category

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Pbi07 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. Here is the relationship.

Calendar(a calculated table): 

Calendar = CALENDARAUTO()

c1.png

If you use waterfall chart, you may create two charts. One is for 'Total Invoice' and another is for 'Total Receipt'. Please make sure you drag 'Year' and 'Month' column in date hierarchy from Calendar table. Then you can click 'Expand all down one level in the hierarchy'. 

c2.png

You can also use a clustered column Chart. Then you may repeat the steps as above.

c3.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Pbi07 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. Here is the relationship.

Calendar(a calculated table): 

Calendar = CALENDARAUTO()

c1.png

If you use waterfall chart, you may create two charts. One is for 'Total Invoice' and another is for 'Total Receipt'. Please make sure you drag 'Year' and 'Month' column in date hierarchy from Calendar table. Then you can click 'Expand all down one level in the hierarchy'. 

c2.png

You can also use a clustered column Chart. Then you may repeat the steps as above.

c3.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Create a new field in your date table. And make it sort column of moth year

month year sort = format(Date[date],"YYYYMM")

Sort_by_column.png

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution.
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

Thanks. My Recent Blogs -Decoding Direct Query - Time Intelligence, Winner Coloring on MAP, HR Analytics, Power BI Working with Non-Standard TimeAnd Comparing Data Across Date Ranges
Proud to be a Datanaut Connect on Linkedin

@amitchandak 

That did not work. I added new column as suggested and changed to month year sort.

Capture.JPG

On ... there should be option to sort, just check the graph is sort on month year

@amitchandak 

The chart does not have sort criteria for the Month & Year. Am i missing something here.

Capture 3.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.