Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mzrkwcz
Helper I
Helper I

Reporting with many to one to many relationships

Power BI says "Can't determine relationships between fields", when I try to create visual based on 3 tables related many to one to many. What is the problem and how to solve it?

My tables(columns) are:
Activities (Activity ID, Deal ID)
Deals (Deal ID)
ProductsInDeals(Deal ID, Product ID)

My relationships are:
Activities[Deal ID] many to one Deals[Deal ID]
ProductsInDeals[Deal ID] many to one Deals[Deal ID]

Now, I get the error message when I try to use table visual with following fields:
Activies[Activity ID], Deals[Deal ID], ProductsInDeals[Product ID]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mzrkwcz

Ok that makes sense then because it is not aggregating the value but wanting to show the ActivityID

In that instance I would potentially merge the data together in the Query Editor

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mzrkwcz,

Please check whether you have created relationships between these three tables. If not, it will prompt above error when referring to 3 tables in a single visualization.

1.PNG

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, it looks exactly as on your screenshot.

I want to use the table visual that is the important detail.

I just discovered that:

1) when I have table visual with Activity ID, Deal ID and Product ID, Power BI sees a problem with relations;

2) when I add one more field to the table visual - a measure of number of unique Activity ID values, problem disappears for Power BI.

I just don't understand why this happens...

Hi @mzrkwcz,

What is the data type of these three columns Activity ID, Deal ID and Product ID?

If you only add two columns into table visual, for example, Activies[Activity ID], ProductsInDeals[Product ID], will it prompt error?

Since I could not reproduce your issue, if possible, please share your pbix file so that I can test for you.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

All columns are "Whole number" type.

Here is the pbix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7868b7jkzjp2gtz/RelationshipsProblem.pbix

Just add/remove measure "Number of Actions" to see what I am talking about.

Hi there

Possibly change the Cross Filter Direction between the Activities and Deals table to single.

Power BI - DELETE.png

It should then work correctly?

Power BI Blog

Possibly change the Cross Filter Direction between the Activities and Deals table to single.

That is the first thing I tried. It does not change the situation.

Hi there

I changed it to Single and I was able to put in the ActivityID?

Power BI Blog

I changed it to Single and I was able to put in the ActivityID?

Hm, strange, I still see:

2017-04-13_0647.png

Can you share the file, please?

Hi @mzrkwcz

Here is a link to the file

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apxn-69XhcAmhqdoNldmrIzjjzgC_w

Power BI Blog

You did not get error because you are not listing activities but summarizing them. Change "Activity ID" from "Count" to "Don't summarize" and you have the problem.

I begin to think it's the issue with the visual not understanding the relation properly.

Hi @mzrkwcz

Ok that makes sense then because it is not aggregating the value but wanting to show the ActivityID

In that instance I would potentially merge the data together in the Query Editor

Power BI Blog

Well, I guess that's the solution I will use, although I would prefer to just use the relation 😕

Thank you, gualvaq.

hi @mzrkwcz

Sometimes that is often the easiest and most robust solution instead of spending a lot of time trying something else out!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.