Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reporting summary from a hierarchical table

Hi All,

I have a sample table with hierarchy like:

PLAN NAMEPARENT 1CHILD 1POINTS
ABC  10
ABCABCP1ABCP1C15
DEF  15
DEFDEFP1DEFP1C125

The above hierarchy is like: "PLAN NAME=>PARENT 1=>CHILD 1=>POINTS"

There is one slicer in my report that contains "PLAN NAME" as selections. Now I want to get the "TOTAL POINTS" based upon the "PLAN NAME" selected in the slicer, but only for the top level hierarchy i.e., I want to total the points for selected plans which has no or blank "PARENT 1" value.

So, it is like I want TOTAL POINTS = 10 + 15 as highlighted above where I have selected both of these plans in the slicer i.e. ABC + DEF are selected, when I use my formula I get error something like multiple columns entries.

I believe this is quite easy but I can not figure it out the exact formula for this at the moment. Any easier and quicker formula to extract this would be nice.

Thanks for the help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yakamoz007
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

u can use this formula

Column = if('Table'[PARENT 1] ="", 'Table'[POINTS],0)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
yakamoz007
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

u can use this formula

Column = if('Table'[PARENT 1] ="", 'Table'[POINTS],0)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, my mistake. Actually I was using wrongly named plan in the slicer and hence values were incorrect.

The solution was simple as you specified and as I wrote earlier.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did use this but this does not give me correct count. I need points for all the multiple selections from the slicer. 

U have to make new columns where you put the same parent and child name. He is summarizing the rows. And your rows are splitting into blank or filled cell.

test.JPG

This is the only way where I know that is working.  Or you delete the columns Parent and child.

Maybe someone else knows a better way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.