Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LegendaryTokash
Frequent Visitor

Reporting on log data over time

I am struggling to generate a dashboard and report for some data I have that related to an application test process I run.  I have access to the data, and have managed the import process - but I believe i am struggling to configure the data model properly.   This is something I've done with similar static datasets in the past, but not quite sure why this is eluding me right now.   I consider myself a novice with PowerBI, and after attending the Data Insights Summit earlier this month, I think I am just feeling overconfident.

Nonetheless - here is a sample of the data I have stored in a table that I can query for my report.

ProbeId ProbeType Started Completed IsSuccess ErrorText
9076 4 2017-06-20 16:00:00.117 2017-06-20 16:00:17.520 0 The request failed. The remote name could not be resolved: 'www.google.com'

ProbeID is a unique key for the table, and in this specific case, the table only contains the last 10 results for each probetype, logged in UTC.  IsSuccess is a boolean field that logs 0 for failures, 1's for successes.

My dataset query gets all of the results from this table, but wants to aggregate (count or sum) the ProbeType and ProbeID fields.   On the surface that seems fine, but unless I break it into two datasets (one of successes, one of failures) - It lumps it all together and I cannot filter it in the visualization fields.  I am missing something.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out the right adjustments to the data model to allow me to graph the successes and failures on something like a stacked bar chart, over the different probe types.     So if you were tasked with generating a report of the successes and failures of a dataset like this?  how would you adjust and approach this?

Always greatful for the guidance.

searching for solutions here hasn't seemed fruitful, as I haven't quite found an example that matches the report data I am dealing with.   Most examples seem to focus on data aggregation without consideration for differentiators in what should be accumulated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@LegendaryTokash

I'm not quite clear about your problem.

If you want to count/sum ProbeIDs group ProbeType and IsSuccess, you can just create a measure like "COUNT(Table[ProbeID])", then put ProbeType on Axis, and drag IsSuccess into Legend in Stacked Chart.

If you want to separate Success and Fail, just add a filter in your measure like "CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[ProbeID]),FILTER(Table,Table[IsSuccess]=1))"

Regards,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@LegendaryTokash

I'm not quite clear about your problem.

If you want to count/sum ProbeIDs group ProbeType and IsSuccess, you can just create a measure like "COUNT(Table[ProbeID])", then put ProbeType on Axis, and drag IsSuccess into Legend in Stacked Chart.

If you want to separate Success and Fail, just add a filter in your measure like "CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[ProbeID]),FILTER(Table,Table[IsSuccess]=1))"

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.