Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mike_Clishem Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Reporting % in PowerBI

Hi,

I'm new to PowerBI and I'm struggling with reporting percentages. I have a column for GP % as an example and when I slice my geographical areas then the GP% is shown correctly in a "card", however, when no area is selected the % reported is a huge number which makes no sense. Is it possible that without any row being selected that the reported GP% could be the total GP% for the reported period? I don't have a row for total sales and total gross profit. My data looks similar to this:

Sales                Gross Profit                Gross Profit %

Area 1                    100                          25                                  25.00%

Area 2                    200                          125                                62.50%

Area 3                    500                           350                               70.00%    

I would like to see the GP% across all areas when no single area is chosen within the slicer................does that make sense?

The reported GP% for the period for the example should be reported as 62.50% instead I get what appears to be the sum of the reported percentages i.e 157.50%!!

Frustrated!

Mike 😞 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Watsky Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Reporting % in PowerBI

Try this create a measure that divides the sum of the gross profit into the sales:

Measure = Sum(Gross Profit) / Sum(Sales) 

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

@Mike_Clishem ,

You just need to create a measure as Watsky mentioned.

Gross Profit % = SUM('Table'[Gross Profit]) / SUM('Table'[Sales])

Capture.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

4 REPLIES 4
Watsky Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Do you have summarization on for the field that represents GP%? sum.png

It sounds like it's adding the percentages together.

Mike_Clishem Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Margin Issue PowerBI (3).jpg

This is what I get when I click on the field.

Watsky Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Try this create a measure that divides the sum of the gross profit into the sales:

Measure = Sum(Gross Profit) / Sum(Sales) 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

@Mike_Clishem ,

You just need to create a measure as Watsky mentioned.

Gross Profit % = SUM('Table'[Gross Profit]) / SUM('Table'[Sales])

Capture.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 1,100 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: