Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reporting from the 15th of each month?

Hello All, 

I work for a non-profit and have a .pbix data model with related tables (snowflake schema) and a date table with all manner of boolean ( eg. iscurrentmonth) and other useful columns (eg. dayofmonth)

I would like to create a matrix visual - but instead of a date hierarchy of calendar months, I would need columns (or rows) such as:

Jan 15th - Feb14th

Feb15th - March 14th

March 15th - April 14th

I can't see how to achieve this and wondered about possible approaches (DAX / columns / power query?)

It's difficult to share the .pbix since I work with sensetive data and would take a lot of work to parse through only non PII.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You need to create a range column. Please refer the following steps.

1. Create a column to group the date.

date Group = 
IF (
    DAY('Table'[Date]) >= 15
        && MONTH('Table'[Date]) = 12,
    IF ( DAY('Table'[Date]) >= 15 && MONTH('Table'[Date]) < 12, MONTH('Table'[Date]) + 1, MONTH('Table'[Date] )
))

Re1.jpg

2. Then we can create a column to meet your requirement.

Date range = 
var _min = CALCULATE(MIN('Table'[Date]),FILTER('Table','Table'[date Group]=EARLIER('Table'[date Group])))
var _max = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER('Table','Table'[date Group]=EARLIER('Table'[date Group])))
return
FORMAT(_min,"mmm") &" "& DAY(_min) &"-"& FORMAT(_max,"mmm") &" "& DAY(_max)

Re2.jpg

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please show the exact expected result based on the table that we have shared?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

BTW, pbix as attached.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You need to create a range column. Please refer the following steps.

1. Create a column to group the date.

date Group = 
IF (
    DAY('Table'[Date]) >= 15
        && MONTH('Table'[Date]) = 12,
    IF ( DAY('Table'[Date]) >= 15 && MONTH('Table'[Date]) < 12, MONTH('Table'[Date]) + 1, MONTH('Table'[Date] )
))

Re1.jpg

2. Then we can create a column to meet your requirement.

Date range = 
var _min = CALCULATE(MIN('Table'[Date]),FILTER('Table','Table'[date Group]=EARLIER('Table'[date Group])))
var _max = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER('Table','Table'[date Group]=EARLIER('Table'[date Group])))
return
FORMAT(_min,"mmm") &" "& DAY(_min) &"-"& FORMAT(_max,"mmm") &" "& DAY(_max)

Re2.jpg

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please show the exact expected result based on the table that we have shared?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

BTW, pbix as attached.

ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous - Seems similar to my recent response to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/custom-period-for-calculate-sum/m-p/1485724#M617378 .

Check out the PBIX file attached in that post. See if that fits your need.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just working with this solution and it looks promising. I really have to have another calendar table however?

@Anonymous - You're looking at the attached file, correct? I think I left the 'Date' table there incase my idea didn't work out 😁.

You'll notice each table ('Date' & 'Custom Calendar') are both created by

CALENDAR(MIN('Table'[Date]),MAX('Table'[Date]))

Date = CALENDAR(DATE(2020,10,1),DATE(2020,12,31))

Pretty much accomplishes the same thing just two different ways dynamic vs. static.

I would add your custom definition need within your existing date table as additional columns. When you need to present your data by custom period use those columns. 👍

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.