Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apt108
Advocate I
Advocate I

Reporting across Datasets

Hello all,

Firstly my aplogies as this may have been covered before, but I can't find a clear answer now.

I have a dataset based on one business area.  I have a 'Monthly Station Report' that allows the user to select the month and station (actually Fire Station in my context) to provide key data for the given station in the given month.  This is fine for the one business area, but I've now been asked to include data from a different business area, which is currently within a different dataset.

I'm aware of two options:

1. Create a new dataset that includes data from both business areas.  This is not very attractive as both existing datasets are reasonably complex, and ultimately I'm expecting to need to include a number of business areas.

2. Create a dashboard and include two reports, one from each dataset (and business area).  Not the most elegant, and I believe the user will have to seperately select the month and station for each report seperately.

Are there any other options open to me?  I'm really surprised that one can't construct a report based on multiple datasets.

Your advice and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
negi007
Super User
Super User

@apt108 pl. go through below link to understand how you can create a report from multiple datasets. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me here

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
negi007
Super User
Super User

@apt108 pl. go through below link to understand how you can create a report from multiple datasets. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me here

Thanks so much for the quick reply @negi007 , it's really appreciated.  It's great to see this is possible,  and (so far) really easy to do.  I just have to make sure I have valid relationships betwen the different datasets now!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Power BI Dev Camp Session 22 768x460.jpg

Check it out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, May 26 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!