Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Afer

Report with data from two different SSAS tabular cubes

I would like to create a report with data from two different SSAS tabular cubes. The cubes have some shared dimensions. So for example if I have a slicer for the Organization dimension, and make a new selection in the slicer - I would like the visuals from both cubes in the report to be updated correspondingly.

However I can not find a way to add two different SSAS tabular cubes as datasource for one report. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Afer

Sorry about that.  Given the MS build SSRS they will understand the usefulness of your request.  In the meantime Import does have a bunch of features that handle refreshing daily and security etc.

Otherwise, can you combine the Tabular cubes into one?  

Remember Power BI is just a Tabular cube, so if you use the same source data your SSAS cubes use, you can effectively clone your cuebs.  Just some thoughts really.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @Afer

If you are using Live Query then you will be limited to one data source.  Is importing the data from both datasets an option?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately it needs to be a live connection (updates every day, security issues etc). In SSRS this is not an issue, and I am a bit surprised by this not being possible in Power BI. For us it is a significant limitation.

Hi @Afer

Sorry about that.  Given the MS build SSRS they will understand the usefulness of your request.  In the meantime Import does have a bunch of features that handle refreshing daily and security etc.

Otherwise, can you combine the Tabular cubes into one?  

Remember Power BI is just a Tabular cube, so if you use the same source data your SSAS cubes use, you can effectively clone your cuebs.  Just some thoughts really.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks - it is a good suggestion to consider the tabular cubes into one. We are currently moving our cubes from multidimensional to tabular, as we clearly see that MS are putting priority on tabular. In that process we can look into having one cube  (although a bit worried of it getting a bit complex). 

Hi @Afer,

Thats a shame about the move from MDX to Tabular.  I still feel there is a place for MDX and in larger, more complex models they outshine their Tabular counterparts.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.