Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gterrasi

Report update on dataset update

I choose a file uploaded on OneDrive as dataset for one of my reports.

I updated the file on OneDrive and then clicked on "update" on the dataset, but the report won't update with the new information I added on the file on OneDrive.

Am I doing something wrong or does Power BI import it locally and then it becomes impossible to modify it within the original data source?

thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gterrasi 

What type of file are you using?

What connector did you use to import your data into Power BI?

I've used Excel spreadsheets in OneDrive by opening them up in full Excel, I've then opened up a blank worksheet as well.

In my blank worksheet I select any cell, type = and then click in any cell in the OneDrive sheet.

I've then closed the OneDrive sheet, which leaves me the full web address in the blank worksheet.

This address (minus any sheet name and cell references) can be put into the 'Web' connector in Power BI.

Hope that helps.

hi, @Anonymous I'm not sure I really understood your instructions.

BTW, I also need to publish the site on the web but to protect the url with password.

Is that possibile?

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @gterrasi 

In your original request you said your data source for Power BI is a file in your OneDrive. What type of file is it? This will help get you the right information.

Published Power BI reports are subject to the viewer also having a licence, so wherever you share the report, the recipient must also have a licence. You can bypass this by using Publish to Web, but then anyone can view your report, so unless it is already public data, that's probably not going to help you out. Password protection is not something you can put on a published Power BI report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.