Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jader3rd
Employee
Employee

Report level filters getting removed for referenced data sources

I have a data source with a Date column. I set that Date column as a Report level filter. I now reference the data source in a new data source; do some transformations to other columns, but leave Date alone. Charts that use the new data source show values from dates outside of the Report level filter. Why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

One thing I learned from this experience is that adding calculated columns to the original table is probably a better way to go, than creating referenced tables, and treating them as a View over the original data. That does solve one of the charts I had, but not the other.

What ended up solving my problem for all cases, was to create a calculated table which did Distinct(DateColumn) on the primary table, and then creating one to many relationships with the other tables. Then set the report level filter to the dates calculated table.

That does make me wonder though, if you create a new table, which references another table as its source, if that doubles the data stored.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi jader3rd,

The word "I now reference the data source in a new data source" as you said above is referred to click Get data button again to get data of the former data source in the same pbix? If yes, the report filter applies to all pages in the report of original data source, can't apply to the other data source. So, recommend you add the same column of the second data source to the report level filter to meet your demand.

You can learn more: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-reports-filters-and-highlighting

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

No, that's not what I did. When looking at one table in Power BI, you can right click on it and select "Reference". That will create a new table where the query looks like Source = [Original Table].

Having three report level filters with the name of Date is really odd.

One thing I learned from this experience is that adding calculated columns to the original table is probably a better way to go, than creating referenced tables, and treating them as a View over the original data. That does solve one of the charts I had, but not the other.

What ended up solving my problem for all cases, was to create a calculated table which did Distinct(DateColumn) on the primary table, and then creating one to many relationships with the other tables. Then set the report level filter to the dates calculated table.

That does make me wonder though, if you create a new table, which references another table as its source, if that doubles the data stored.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.