Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

npnigro
Advocate III
Advocate III

Report color scheme incorrect

I have an old-ish Power BI file using the desktop app and when I publish it, the color scheme on the report page is incorrect. It looks like it's using an old color theme from a previous version of Power BI. I've tried to post it under a different name but the problem persists, so I think it's something off in the Power BI file. Any ideas how I can correct the file without having to recreate it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sorry, I didn't get a notification about your reply and missed this one. I ended up figuring it out. I changed the file extension to *.zip, unzipped the files, and did a text search for "theme". I got a hit in Report\Layout file:

"theme":"Theme1",

Once I deleted the above text, re-zipped the files, and reposted, I was good to go.

Clearly we have some color theme support lurking around in Power BI. Would be great to have documentation on this or be able to customize these color themes in the normal Office way.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
npnigro
Advocate III
Advocate III

Ping. Can anyone help with this?

@npnigro Have you downloaded the latest Desktop app? There were changes to formats/colors awhile ago and this could account for the descrepency you are seeing in the Service. Because the Service is always the latest feature set, so if you haven't downloaded the latest Desktop version, you could see big changes in color scheme/formatting.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes, I'm running the latest version. The color scheme on the desktop looks correct (it's the new scheme). The scheme online looks like the old Power View scheme. It's a little mysterious. I wish color schemes could be set like any other Office app.

@npnigro you don't see this in the upper right of the Service while editing the report do you?

Capture.JPG

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Nope. The color scheme options are the new style when editing the report in the browser, but the colors are incorrect. If I say "Revert to Default" for any visual, the colors aren't the new colors. They're the old ones from Power View. The colors are correct when viewing visuals in the desktop app. My guess is something about the report file format is wrong. I don't see any way to define the default color scheme for a report. Any way to edit the report file (*.pbix) manually? 

Can you do me a favor and screen shot a side by side? I want to see if I can repro this...

Sorry, I didn't get a notification about your reply and missed this one. I ended up figuring it out. I changed the file extension to *.zip, unzipped the files, and did a text search for "theme". I got a hit in Report\Layout file:

"theme":"Theme1",

Once I deleted the above text, re-zipped the files, and reposted, I was good to go.

Clearly we have some color theme support lurking around in Power BI. Would be great to have documentation on this or be able to customize these color themes in the normal Office way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.