cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
UlrickT Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Report Theme Colors

I know that its possible to make a list of DataColors in a JSON file. But what is the logic behind them? In which order are these used when applying the Theme to e.g. a PIE chart? 

It seems to be rather random, and if so then the "only" thing the Theme does is to list the "defined" colors in the color-picker so you dont have to search for them all the time. But it isnt so that it is applied in a specific order throughout the report.

Anyone know the logic?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Report Theme Colors

Hi @UlrickT,

Yes, the colors show up as you list them in the JSON. Power BI extends the colors from lighter to it. After all, the colors listed in the JSON aren't enough. 

{
    "name": "St Patricks Day",
    "dataColors": ["#568410", "#3A6108", "#70A322", "#915203", "#D79A12", "#bb7711", "#114400", "#aacc66"],
    "background":"#FFFFFF",
    "foreground": "#3A6108",
    "tableAccent": "#568410"
}

Report Theme Colors2.JPG

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Hey,

currently there is just this piece of documentation

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-report-themes/

,but it dooes not describe the intricate working how the data colors are assigned to edges of a pie.

But maybe it reveals some insight

Regards

Hamburg - Germany
If I answer you question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Proud to be a Datanaut!
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @UlrickT,

According to my test, Power BI uses the color along the horizontal of the color-picker, which could avoid two similar colors getting together.

Report Theme Colors .jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
UlrickT Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

In which order do they show up? Is that in the order you listed the HEX in the JSON?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @UlrickT,

Yes, the colors show up as you list them in the JSON. Power BI extends the colors from lighter to it. After all, the colors listed in the JSON aren't enough. 

{
    "name": "St Patricks Day",
    "dataColors": ["#568410", "#3A6108", "#70A322", "#915203", "#D79A12", "#bb7711", "#114400", "#aacc66"],
    "background":"#FFFFFF",
    "foreground": "#3A6108",
    "tableAccent": "#568410"
}

Report Theme Colors2.JPG

Best Regards!

Dale

kulchandra Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-jiascu-msft

@TomMartens

Coudl you please look into my question and reply if there is any work around. 

Here is the link for my post: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Pie-chart-color-control-for-dynamic-values-direct-query/m-p...

Thanks in advance