Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

win_anthony
Resolver III
Resolver III

Report Table View Different from Data View

I have a table which can have duplicate transaction ID's because of manual comments that can be made by the user. My problem is that the measure that I created is correctly counting the transaction ID's that I am looking for in the Data View but if I bring that same data into a Report Table Visual, the number of rows get summarized (duplicate transaction ID's get summarized into 1) resulting in total number of rows being smaller than the measure. I tried making sure to "Not Summarize" each column but this is still happening when adding dimensions into a report table.

Is there a way for me count the number of transactions that are summarized as 1 transaction? Below is the measure + sample data (current data view output / expected report table output). Goal is to have measure count number of rows like "Expected Report Table".

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Measure (The goal of the measure is to get transactions from today -120 days not including today)

CALCULATE(
    [Transaction Count],
    FILTER(
        Transactions,
        Transactions[Date] > TODAY() -120
    )
)

[Transaction Count] = COUNT(Transactions[trans_id])

Current Data View Output (Notice trans_id 1 & 5) > Current measure counts this number of rows

trans_iditemcomments
1PizzaCustomer paid in cash
2Burger 
3TacosSteak and Pork Tacos
3TacosCustomer has special request
4Wings 
5PizzaCustomer wants Pineapple topping

Expected Report Table Visual Output (Notice trans_id 1 & 5) > Goal is to have measure count number of rows for this Report Table Visual

trans_iditemcomments
2Burger 
3TacosSteak and Pork Tacos
3TacosCustomer has special request
4Wings 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
win_anthony
Resolver III
Resolver III

I found my own solution by updating the inner measure [Transaction Count]. This will summarize transactions that have the same comment but individually count transactions that have distinct comments.

[Transaction Count] =
COUNTROWS(
    SUMMARIZE(
        Transactions,
        Transactions[trans_id],
        Transactions[comments]
    )
)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
win_anthony
Resolver III
Resolver III

I found my own solution by updating the inner measure [Transaction Count]. This will summarize transactions that have the same comment but individually count transactions that have distinct comments.

[Transaction Count] =
COUNTROWS(
    SUMMARIZE(
        Transactions,
        Transactions[trans_id],
        Transactions[comments]
    )
)

win_anthony
Resolver III
Resolver III

@v-yalanwu-msft Greetings. Would you be so kind as to provide any advice if possible?

[Transaction Count] = COUNT( trans_id )

KNP
Super User
Super User

Hi @win_anthony - What is the calculation for [Transaction Count]?

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

@KNP sorry...I forgot to add that. The calculation for Transaction count = COUNT( trans_id )

Thank you for your support

Possibly, DISTINCTCOUNT( trans_id ) will work, depending on what else you're using that measure for.

Edit: may need to see data model with relationships if it isn't that simple.

Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
KIfp67uy-Sr

@KNP the data model is just 2 tables: 1 large fact/dim table (Transactions) + 1 Calendar table

@win_anthony  - still need more info to be able to offer any guidance. From your original post, I can't figure out what is causing transactions 1 and 5 to "appear" to be duplicated and therefore how to write the measure or re-model in Power Query. 

chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

KIfp67uy-Sr

@KNP thank you so much for your support. I was able to find my own solution by updating my inner measure [Transaction Count]. Ultimately, I figured out that by using COUNTROWS + SUMMARIZE, it will summarize any transaction that has the same comment but individually count any transaction that has distinct comments. 

Regardless, thank you so much for your support! 

COUNTROWS(
    SUMMARIZE(
        Transactions,
        Transactions[trans_id],
        Transactions[comments]
    )
)

@KNP I tried DISTINCTCOUNT( trans_id ) but that did not work well. If you look at "Expected Report Table Output", using DISTINCTCOUNT( trans_id ) will only give 1 count for trans_id = 3. 

I think I need to see a more complete set of data and the model with relationships. 

My gut feeling, I'd be doing more data modelling in Power Query and possibly separating out the comments or concatenating them into one column, but I'm guessing at this point.

chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

KIfp67uy-Sr

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.