Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report Storage Mode when using ADDCOLUMNS Dax?

Hi Geeks,

I have a report which has developed using direct query. I am using ADDCOLUMS function to summarize some data in the report. Once i create the table with ADDCOLUMNS Storage mode of the report changed to "Mixed". And also i see schedule refresh has been enabled in the Power BI service. Do i need to enable the schedule refresh in-order to update the data of that table created usinng ADDCOLUMNS? 

Regards,
Maddy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Yes, If you've created a calculated table using DAX you've effectively created a composite model and this new table in using  in-memory storage and will need to be refreshed on a schedule in order to pick up any new data. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Yes, If you've created a calculated table using DAX you've effectively created a composite model and this new table in using  in-memory storage and will need to be refreshed on a schedule in order to pick up any new data. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d_gosbell 

Thanks for the reply. So if i use New Table option that will turn the direct query report to composite model?

That is correct, because the calculated table feature creates an in-memory table. If you don't want a composite model you would have to either look at trying to add a calculated column to your direct query table, those are supported now provided you only do calculations on a row by row bases (so you can't calculated ratios or rankings that require comparing data in the current row to other rows in the table). Or you could look at pushing the logic down to a SQL view, maybe trying to use an indexed view if performance becomes an issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d_gosbell 

Thanks for the explanation. Yes performance has become an issue in my report. I would consider doing the calculations in the SQL query itself. 

Regards,

Maddy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.