Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

huguest
Advocate II
Advocate II

Report Refresh getting "stuck"

Hello,

I am trying to refresh my report in Power BI Desktop and after loading data for awhile, it appears to get stuck.

The table contains data from a combination of queries that are all imported into the model.  It previews fine in the Query Editor.  After loading data from several of the queries (Excel, Oracle, SQL), the refresh window shows that it is at "183 KB from Spreadsheet.xlsx" and stays there (it has been several hours).  It used to refresh just fine, I made a few edits (but not to that spreadsheet), and now it is no longer working.

I recreated that spreadsheet from scratch in case the file might have been broken, but no difference.

Any idea what might be happenign?

Thank you 🙂

12 REPLIES 12
Data-Bit
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have encountered this issue multiple times in different companies I have worked and it's a pain... sometimes i have to rebuild or download a copy from the server again and pray.

jdj
Frequent Visitor

Anyone with a solution yet? Got the same issue (both with Power Query in Excel and in Power BI) and also just gotten in the habit of hitting refresh, then cancel on the pop up, then refresh again. But that's not really a solution... 🤔

jdj
Frequent Visitor
Crazyel
Regular Visitor

I get the same issue, stuck refreshing its been over an hour, and its is a fairly small spreadsheet. I believe it has to do with older excel spreadsheets and older PBI desktop versions. I opened a new Excel copy and pasted values  and column header and used a new excel file with pasted values information.

Good Luck 

I've just gotten in the habit of hitting refresh, then cancel on the pop up, then refresh again. It works every time. I'm here because I was trying to find out a way to fix it, but looks like no one else has figured it out either 😞

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @huguest,

It sounds like you have reference other queries in query editor, it may caused stuck loading.(the referenced query not finish loading, current query are wait for reference query finish load)

If this is a case, I'd like to suggest you turn on the 'Parallel loading' in options menu.

3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello Xiaoxin Sheng, thank you for your suggestion but that feature was already activated in my report. 

HI @huguest,

Is there any connection to external datasource in your excel file? Or your use link table function to import excel workbooks?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

None of these.  It is a very basic spreadsheet with 2 columns of values an no formula (about 100 rows).

HI @huguest,

I'd like to suggest you to turn off load option of queries to confirm which query caused the stuck issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue. Did you find a solution?

Unfortunately not really.  Sometimes I feel like it is the report itself, sometimes I feel like it is something else (connection or other).  I tried to simplify my report as much as possible (eliminating uncessary transformations, combining some steps, etc.) and it is much better but I am still running into the same issue at times.

Good luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.