Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Report Refresh getting "stuck"

Hello,

I am trying to refresh my report in Power BI Desktop and after loading data for awhile, it appears to get stuck.

The table contains data from a combination of queries that are all imported into the model.  It previews fine in the Query Editor.  After loading data from several of the queries (Excel, Oracle, SQL), the refresh window shows that it is at "183 KB from Spreadsheet.xlsx" and stays there (it has been several hours).  It used to refresh just fine, I made a few edits (but not to that spreadsheet), and now it is no longer working.

I recreated that spreadsheet from scratch in case the file might have been broken, but no difference.

Any idea what might be happenign?

Thank you 🙂

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Report Refresh getting "stuck"

Hi @huguest,

It sounds like you have reference other queries in query editor, it may caused stuck loading.(the referenced query not finish loading, current query are wait for reference query finish load)

If this is a case, I'd like to suggest you turn on the 'Parallel loading' in options menu.

3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Hello Xiaoxin Sheng, thank you for your suggestion but that feature was already activated in my report. 

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

HI @huguest,

Is there any connection to external datasource in your excel file? Or your use link table function to import excel workbooks?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

None of these.  It is a very basic spreadsheet with 2 columns of values an no formula (about 100 rows).

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

HI @huguest,

I'd like to suggest you to turn off load option of queries to confirm which query caused the stuck issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue. Did you find a solution?

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Unfortunately not really.  Sometimes I feel like it is the report itself, sometimes I feel like it is something else (connection or other).  I tried to simplify my report as much as possible (eliminating uncessary transformations, combining some steps, etc.) and it is much better but I am still running into the same issue at times.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I get the same issue, stuck refreshing its been over an hour, and its is a fairly small spreadsheet. I believe it has to do with older excel spreadsheets and older PBI desktop versions. I opened a new Excel copy and pasted values  and column header and used a new excel file with pasted values information.

Good Luck 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I've just gotten in the habit of hitting refresh, then cancel on the pop up, then refresh again. It works every time. I'm here because I was trying to find out a way to fix it, but looks like no one else has figured it out either 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors