Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

chermus
Frequent Visitor

Report Refresh Error(s) - Cannot load model

Hello Community,

I'm about at my wit's end with PBI Desktop and the multiple error messages I receive when I'm refreshing my reports daily (scheduled refresh is not an option, presently). The most common error is the following:

chermus_0-1669836605142.pngchermus_1-1669836611701.png

My storage mode is Import for every single data source. These errors sometimes hang for so long that I need to force quit the program. Sometimes up to 5 times, just to get one report to refresh successfully. This issue has persisted for me through multiple versions/installations of PBI Desktop.

I've tried clearing permissions from all of my data sources, the issue persists. There must be another fix I can try. Can someone please help? 🙂

Thank you!
Chelsea

3 REPLIES 3
chermus
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Aniya,

My data source is a network folder. I will check with our IT department to see if they can provide these connection log records. However, nobody else in our organization is reporting errors like these at this time (we all use the same network drive).

As mentioned, scheduled refresh is not an option for me at this time. Due to organizational policy, I am unable to connect to my data source via the PBI service online.

Hi , @chermus 

If no one else in your organization has reported such an error, I think this problem may be related to the network folder data source of the desktop connection in your host, and it is a personal problem for you, if it is convenient, you can contact your company's IT department and work together to collect the connection log when the error is reported and see the difference between the log when the connection succeeds and the connection fails, so as to continue troubleshooting this problem.

Due to the restrictions of company security regulations, we cannot accept the logs you upload, which will contain your company's private data, so at this moment we can provide suggestions to this step, thank you for your understanding and time!

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @chermus 

According to your problem description, you are using the data connection mode of import, and when refreshing in desktop, you will encounter multiple refresh unsuccessful problems, you need to try multiple times to succeed, and the error seems to be related to the data source disconnection, unable to establish a connection with the data source, here are my suggestions and mitigations for your current error situation:

(1)To find the root cause of the problem, you need to contact the administrator of your data source, collect the connection log records between the data source and the desktop, and see why the connection did not succeed, but it can be successful in several attempts, whether it is because the data source frequently drops or the desktop problem.

(2)You can try to publish the report to the service, configure the data source credential connection, and start a scheduled refresh for the data source, because the refresh on the Power BI service will do several retries after the connection cannot be successful, and then the error will be reported after failure, and it can be set once every half an hour, up to 48 times a day in the premium capacity, you do not need to manually try in the desktop, you can refer to this official document for details:

Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.