Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lynk_RM
Helper I
Helper I

Report Dates Times Incorrect?

I would greatly appreciate help with a puzzling issue with Power BI. The time and dates are off on several things I'm attempting to do:

1) Report Filter Dates/Times: My relative date filter is ahead by several hours. At the time of this post it is roughly 08/10/2020 10:40PM (EST) , but filtering "Relative date> is in this > day" is showing me 8/11/2020. I've encountered this before, and if I'm not mistaken everything is in GMT when it comes to report filters. Why is this and how can i fix it?

2) Folder Query Dates/Times Incorrect: I have created a folder query and removed all other columns except Date modified so that I can know the last date & time a certain file was update. After just updating the file at 08/10/2020 10:30PM (EST) the query is somehow showing that the time it was modified at 08/10/2020 07:30PM  Its returning times in PST. What is the cause and how can I fix it aside from manually adding back the time with a new formula?

4 REPLIES 4

Thank you for the reply.

The guides linked are workarounds only for problem #2, but do not seem to address problem #1.

To be as clear as possible, I'm attempting to overcome this limitation:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/desktop-slicer-filter-date-range#limitations-and-c... 

Microsoft wrote:

The following limitations and considerations currently apply to the relative date range slicer and filter.

• Data models in Power BI don't include time zone info. The models can store times, but there's no indication of the time zone they're in.

• The slicer and filter are always based on the time in UTC. If you set up a filter in a report and send it to a colleague in a different time zone, you both see the same data. Unless you are in the UTC time zone, you and your colleague must account for the time offset you experience.

• You can convert data captured in a local time zone to UTC using the Query Editor.

I know that I can manually change all dates & times to UTC format in the Query Editor. But this still does not fix the relative date filter/slicer. Our business requires actionable data, and with staffing past midnight it is necessary to be able to tell what day we are looking at. 

Hi @Lynk_RM ,

Please refer to the case.

DAX time intelligence question 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the reply.

The solution you linked was what I've already completed, which was to create my own custom filters rather than relying on the built-in filters of Power BI.

It doesn't appear there is any solution that allows one to use the relative date filters that are built into the service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.