Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

juncco888
Advocate I
Advocate I

Report Builder Problem using Power BI Data Set as Source

Good afternoon,

Sorry, if this is not the correct forum for this.. Could not find a spot for Report Builder questions.

I am relatively new to utilizing Report Builder for paginated reports but have come across an issue that I am hoping someone has seen and can point me in the right direction for an answer.

I am using a published and functioning Power BI Report data set as the source for my Report Builder paginated report.  The issue I am running into is that once I have created the data set in Report Generator some of the data types for some fields are changed by Report Generator.

For example, I have a date field in the power Bi dataset that functions correctly as a date in Power Bi Desktop.  However, once the dataset is inside report generator that field type is changed to string.  I also have a string type field in Power Bi Desktop that is changed to Integer in Report Builder.   

I have been succesful in creating a new calculated field in report generator and converting the integer field back to a string.  Also am working on converting the text field (which is a date in the source data) back to a date type.  However, I am only having limited success there and since the data is the correct type in my power Bi source data my expectation is the correct type would also be present in the Report Generator data.

Is there something I am missing?  What would cause this data type conversion and is there any way I can stop it from happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @juncco888 ,

You need to convert your date column to date format.

Show some sample data and we might be able to help you convert it with formula or format feature.

Or you can check the documents below about how to convert format in power bi.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-custom-format-strings

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/how-to-change-text-to-date/td-p/16067

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide more details about it.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Polly,

Thanks.  However, the date field is already a date field in the power Bi report dataset and functions correctly as a date.  The issue is that Report Builder (paginated reports) changes the type from date to string.  I know a way to convert it using a calculated field but that should not be necessary and adds an additional field to my data set.  I have a support ticket opened and will update here after that call. 

Thank you again, I appreciate your assitance

Kyle

Hello,

Did you ever end up finding a solution to this? I've been unable to change the format from text when going to apply any filters to date or numerical values. They're consistently being imported as strings (text)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.