Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replicating DAX measures and calculated columns in different Database environments

Hello everyone,
I had built a Power BI report pointing to the SQL server database and created DAX columns and measures using the modeling tool and using the query editor in Desktop.
Now I need to migrate the report to connect via the same table structure to the Oracle environment and using Advanced editor option in Power BI Query Editor I was able to easily replicate the changes that I did via query editor but I am unable to find similar setup changes for DAX code written through modeling tool.

I tried reading a couple of documents and solutions but doesn't seem to have a solution that easily replicates the measures and calculated columns.

Does it require to be manually created again?

Did anyone face a similar issue? Any thoughts are appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

In this case, you can save your original power bi desktop file as a template, it will be saved as a pbit file,

then you can open the pbit file, it will ask for a data source, use the new data source here, finally save this file as a pbix file.

Please see more details below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-templates

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/one-model-to-manage-different-data-source-format/td-p/109105

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Team,

I tried that option and what I noticed was that I am having a duplicate copy of my existing table and it is not merging with my original table and doesn't have any transformations that I have applied either.

So I don't think this solution will work for me in this case.

Thanks

Nadeena

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.