Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replicating DAX measures and calculated columns in different Database environments

Hello everyone,
I had built a Power BI report pointing to the SQL server database and created DAX columns and measures using the modeling tool and using the query editor in Desktop.
Now I need to migrate the report to connect via the same table structure to the Oracle environment and using Advanced editor option in Power BI Query Editor I was able to easily replicate the changes that I did via query editor but I am unable to find similar setup changes for DAX code written through modeling tool.

I tried reading a couple of documents and solutions but doesn't seem to have a solution that easily replicates the measures and calculated columns.

Does it require to be manually created again?

Did anyone face a similar issue? Any thoughts are appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

In this case, you can save your original power bi desktop file as a template, it will be saved as a pbit file,

then you can open the pbit file, it will ask for a data source, use the new data source here, finally save this file as a pbix file.

Please see more details below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-templates

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/one-model-to-manage-different-data-source-format/td-p/109105

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Team,

I tried that option and what I noticed was that I am having a duplicate copy of my existing table and it is not merging with my original table and doesn't have any transformations that I have applied either.

So I don't think this solution will work for me in this case.

Thanks

Nadeena

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.