Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jphelps13kantar

Replicate "Percent of column total" in a line chart (with filters)

Research

My issue is similar to the below ones, but I don't know how to handle filters in these

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Exclude-rows-from-sum-based-on-condition/td-p/1166556

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63570471/visualise-percentage-of-sales-over-time-power-bi-for-ea...

Data & Workbook

My PowerBI file:  

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgLy4UR8UpdihuBwoVPT3d1ojzdOvw?e=9aLVX6

My real data is the same as this except I have 5 filters e.g Country, Gender, Age etc. instead of just Country 

Problem

The "Percent of column total" in Matrix tables is super powerful. It calculates automatically for me the percentage of my sum over the selected dimension, and changes appropriately when I change filter combinations.  

Line charts unfortunately don't have this option 😞 

I have spend ~2 hours now searching the forums and SO, and the most promising solutions are above. They don't seem to update to sum to 100% though with the filters I have applied. 

So it works when both Germany & UK are selected. However, filtering to say just UK, the values don't sum to 100% like the "percent of column total" does. I expect the solution is simple but I'm not finding this DAX code to be that intuitive as a newbie to the platform. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Let me know if any problems accessing the powerbi file or understanding the problem. Thanks 🙂

Edit: Added DAX denominator below. Numerator is SUM(Sheet1[N])

N.denom = 
var current_row_date = MIN(Sheet1[Date])
var current_question = Min(Sheet1[Question])
return 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Sheet1[N]),
    FILTER(
        ALL(Sheet1),
        Sheet1[Date] = current_row_date &&
        Sheet1[Question] = current_question
    )
)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mattww
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @jphelps13kantar ,

Try this

N(% by Date) 2 = DIVIDE(MAX(Sheet1[N]),CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[N]),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Date],Sheet1[Question],Sheet1[Country])))

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mattww
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @jphelps13kantar ,

Try this

N(% by Date) 2 = DIVIDE(MAX(Sheet1[N]),CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[N]),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Date],Sheet1[Question],Sheet1[Country])))

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It works when I replace 

MAX(Sheet1[N]) 

with

SUM(Sheet1[N])

so thank you! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.