Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Replacing blanks with strings in related tables?

Hi,

I have a cosmetic problem and I'm trying to replace blank values, with a string, when 2 tables are in a simple Many-to-1 relationship. I have 2 tables, "Table1" and "location".

Table1:

Ticket       DC

11ABC
22ABC
33DEF
44GHI
55GHI
88JKL
66DEF
77JKL
99JKL

XYZ

Location Table:

Prefix       Region

ABCCA
DEFWA
GHITX
JKLCA

The problem is that when I use any visual, Table1[Ticket] = 8 will be blank for Location[Region], because there is no match (expected). But I need the Location[Region] to be "unknown" in this scenario.

I can do this simple enough if I create a calculated column with an IF condition in Table1, but it's mandatory to use Location[Region] as it's connected to many other tables. Any tips on how I can achieve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi powerbiuser101,

Well, in Power BI if there is a mismatch in a relationship, you can't change the blank behaviour. You need to have the rows with the value "Unknown" and their relationship.

It doesn't matter if you have to add 1 or thousands of rows, in the query editor you can easily achieve it. You can 'full' join the tables and replace the null values (the rows that haven't correspondence) by "Unknown". Later some steps of cleaning.

Hope you can achieve it,
Jorge.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GeorgeBuster
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi Powerbiuser101,

You can edit your Location Table in the Query Editor of Power BI and "add" the row you need.

Best,

Jorge.

Hi @GeorgeBuster and thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately for the scenario I face, there's actually 10K+ rows for "Table1" and 35+ rows for "Location" and ~20% of Table1[DC] values are completely mislabeled. 

So there would always be a mismatch, which is a different sort of problem in itself. 

Hi powerbiuser101,

Well, in Power BI if there is a mismatch in a relationship, you can't change the blank behaviour. You need to have the rows with the value "Unknown" and their relationship.

It doesn't matter if you have to add 1 or thousands of rows, in the query editor you can easily achieve it. You can 'full' join the tables and replace the null values (the rows that haven't correspondence) by "Unknown". Later some steps of cleaning.

Hope you can achieve it,
Jorge.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.