Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kelly008
Helper I
Helper I

Replacing (BLANK) field with Text

Hello,

I am currently trying to replace a (blank) field with the text "Machine Check not Carried Out". The column itself is also in text format.

However, I can't seem to find the correct measure:

MKMachineBlank = IF( 'MaintenanceRequired2' = 0, "Machine Check Not Carried Out", 'MaintenanceRequired2') 

I'm currently using the above, but it appears that this measure is for replacing a number field that is displaying a (blank) as apposed to my situation where I want to replace a text field (blank) with text.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @kelly008 
Try this

MKMachineBlank = 
var CurrentItem = SELECTEDVALUE('Preventative Maintenance Log'[MaintenanceRequired2])
return IF( ISBLANK(CurrentItem )||CurrentItem = "", "Machine Check Not Carried Out",  CurrentItem)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

HI @kelly008 ,

What is the datatype of the column MaintenanceRequired2 in your table?

Is MaintenanceRequired2 a column in your table or measure?

If it is a column and is of text datatype, then use the following DAX expression:

MKMachineBlank =
IF (
    ISBLANK ( yourTable[MaintenanceRequired2] ) = TRUE(),
    "Machine Check Not Carried Out",
    yourTable[MaintenanceRequired2]
)

In the above DAX expression just replace yourTable with the table name you have at your end.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hi, thanks for replying.

I'm getting this error after using the measure you suggested:

kelly008_3-1660230380410.png

I'm guessing this is becuase I didnt share the table name? Please see below:

kelly008_4-1660230414026.png

Again, thank you for replying.

vojtechsima
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi, @kelly008 
try this:

MKMachineBlank = IF( ISBLANK('MaintenanceRequired2') || 'MaintenanceRequired2' = "", "Machine Check Not Carried Out", 'MaintenanceRequired2') 

Hi, thanks for replying, sorry I may not have included all of the relavent information. 

I'm currently getting this error after using the measure you suggested:

kelly008_1-1660230159275.png

I'm guessing this is becuase I didnt include the table that the column is coming from? This is the table alongside the column and the measure you suggested:

kelly008_2-1660230218112.png

Again, thank you for replying.

Hi, @kelly008 
Try this

MKMachineBlank = 
var CurrentItem = SELECTEDVALUE('Preventative Maintenance Log'[MaintenanceRequired2])
return IF( ISBLANK(CurrentItem )||CurrentItem = "", "Machine Check Not Carried Out",  CurrentItem)

Thats it! Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.