Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lmendes
Frequent Visitor

Replace values

Hello

I am struggling with two things to do with replacing values. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0j792l4jlkfsigr/Replace%20values.pbix?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvedv43zubsptxh/Replace%20value%20issue.xlsx?dl=0 

1. I need to do a conditional replace values. In the linked examples (one pbix file and one excel) i would like to say;

If {Q1,Q2,Q3} = "Not at all" then 0 else 1 - but I have no idea how to write this in 'm' language. 

2. I have data whereby the response is spelt wrongly or with CAPs in some answers and lowercase in others. Is there a way in m language the below

If {Do you agree with this rating?} = "Yes" or "yes" or "y" then 1 else 0

I have attached a sample file - I am not very well versed in m language so if you can make the solution user friendly it will be greatly appreciated!

Laura

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Lmendes solution is attached, check power query replace steps.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
raja_pandian
Regular Visitor

I've replaced the value from "Aptiv" to "Karnataka"

But for some reason, I can still see "Aptiv" , similar to these there are many other values didnt change. Not sure why it didnt change.

I used Advanced Editor to change, I have provided the below code for your reference.

#"Replaced Value82" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value81","Aptiv ","Karnataka",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"State/Province"}),

Also another state name "Andhra Pradesh" repeating twice, I have used trimmed and clean columns before replacing the value but still no changes. Can somebody provide some inputs on this please.

it should work

in any case you have another option. is to create a dataset with 2 columns, nameold and namenew and then in dax create a new column like finalname that check the newname

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)

Thanks for your quick response. Appreciate your solution. However, For some reason, I can still see the same result.

dobregon
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

In powerBI you can do using the commands automatically.

In the query editor window you have the option in tab transform to "replace values". you need to do

- Select the column that you want to analyze
- Click on replace columns
- Write the condition

Maybe you need to do this for each condition that you have. Automatically the powerbi will write this in the M query.

Same for second point

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)

Hi

Thanks so much for your advice. I am familiar with the replace values step unfortunately I have to do this for several columns and responses so it would take me quite a while. It would be much more efficent for me to be able to replace one value and use else for all others.

Thank you

Laura

@Lmendes solution is attached, check power query replace steps.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Brilliant thanks so much!

Just a pointer for learners (like me). I had to include [Q3] as [#"Q3"] and [Q2] as [#"Q2"] etc.... for it to work. But it now works like a dream 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.