Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replace values between square brackets in a Query

Hi, PowerBI newbie here but loving it!

In my Query I have a column where the values may have text in square brackets 

eg: This is some text [and this is other text]

I would like to remove the text between the square brackets.  This could be any text, so it needs to be dynamic

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ElenaN
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hello,

If you just want to replace the value in the brackets you can create a new column (Add Custom Column option in Power Query) and use this code:

=Text.Replace([Column1], Text.BeforeDelimiter(Text.AfterDelimiter([Column1], "["), "]"), "")

The code replaces whatever it is found between brackets with empty string. You can change that according to your needs.

Regards,

ElenaN

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
OB
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @ElenaN and @HotChilli,

How can this solution be adjusted to make multiple replacements in one text string? 

My example simplified to make it as close to the above solution as possible:  each time I have text in brackets (text in brackets will vary), I want to replace with space,

e.g. ABC [text1], EFG [text2], XYZ [text3] > ABC[ ], EFG[ ], XYZ [ ]

Thank you!

ElenaN
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hello,

If you just want to replace the value in the brackets you can create a new column (Add Custom Column option in Power Query) and use this code:

=Text.Replace([Column1], Text.BeforeDelimiter(Text.AfterDelimiter([Column1], "["), "]"), "")

The code replaces whatever it is found between brackets with empty string. You can change that according to your needs.

Regards,

ElenaN

Anonymous
Not applicable

Position should be at the end, but maybe not always.  Splitting a column at a delimiter then deleting the one I dont need seems like overkill? 

M is new to me but I can code like half a dozen other languages to varying degrees of proficiency - its just a matter of learning the syntax and how to read the docs, right?

I feel like I'm super close with this, but how do I dynamically get the old value?  

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value1",Text.BetweenDelimiters(*** OLD VALUE ***,"[","]"),"",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Email Name V2"})

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/text-betweendelimiters

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/table-replacevalue

You'll probably need an 'each' and a column reference in there.

I'm not sure why you think the split column idea is overkill.  It takes about 2 seconds to do it in the Power Query editor.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Depending on your sample data, for example if the extra clause is always the end of a string and never has anything after it, you could split the column in Power Query editor on the first occurrence of '[' and just use the first column.

Other forms of splitting and joining columns may work for you.

The 'true' algorithm for all cases would be : Find the position of '[' , Find the position of a subsequent ']' and remove the string between the two but i suspect that might be 'M' language that is further down your powerbi journey.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.