cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomaskelly Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Replace null values with contents from another column

Good Morning

Is it possible in query editor to replace the null values of one column with the adjcent contents of another column?

Many Thanks

Tom

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Replace null values with contents from another column

Yes. Select Add Column and then write an if statement something like this (it is case sensitive)

= if [column 1] = null then [column 2] else [column 1] 

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

bdymit Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Saw this old post and found another solution, so I thought I would share.

You can modify the "M" code if you are not looking to add a column/ delete the old one.

=Table.ReplaceValue(#"Last Step",null, each _[Values Column],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Null Column"})

#"Last Step" being the previous step in your query

[Values Column] being the column that has the values in it to replace the nulls

"Null Column" being the column with the null values

Be sure to use the " each _[Values Column]" syntax with the spaces before and after "each", otherwise you will get an error.

Here is the original video from Miguel Escobar.

https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2015/05/08/power-query-for-excel-replace-values-using-values-from-an...

Cheers!

**NOTE: When I have used this, it changed all the data types in my query to "Any". I asked Miguel, and he reached out to MS to see if it is a bug or if it is intentional. If you are using it early in your query before you change your data types, might still be useful. Otherwise you can change your data types back. Just a fair warning!

9 REPLIES 9
Super User
Super User

Yes. Select Add Column and then write an if statement something like this (it is case sensitive)

= if [column 1] = null then [column 2] else [column 1] 

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

sivapratap Member

hi everyone,

i have a problem with replacing null values with content from other column. The scenerio is something like this. let say i have three columns A,B,C

ABC
X1010
X.1null10
X.2null10
Y1111
Y.1null11
Y.2null11

C is my custom column created based on data from two columns A and B. please help with the query to construct above scenario.

Thanks,

Sivaaprataap.

sivaaprataap
bdymit Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Saw this old post and found another solution, so I thought I would share.

You can modify the "M" code if you are not looking to add a column/ delete the old one.

=Table.ReplaceValue(#"Last Step",null, each _[Values Column],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Null Column"})

#"Last Step" being the previous step in your query

[Values Column] being the column that has the values in it to replace the nulls

"Null Column" being the column with the null values

Be sure to use the " each _[Values Column]" syntax with the spaces before and after "each", otherwise you will get an error.

Here is the original video from Miguel Escobar.

https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2015/05/08/power-query-for-excel-replace-values-using-values-from-an...

Cheers!

**NOTE: When I have used this, it changed all the data types in my query to "Any". I asked Miguel, and he reached out to MS to see if it is a bug or if it is intentional. If you are using it early in your query before you change your data types, might still be useful. Otherwise you can change your data types back. Just a fair warning!

omrdmr Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

While @bdymit's  script works very well, data type change is clearly off-putting here. It looks like a bug. I would only expect Power query to change the data type of the field which we replace the nulls at, only when replaced values don't fit the data type of the new field. Otherwise why change all field data types?

bdymit Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@omrdmr I agree, the data type change is annoying. Miguel responded to my question (in the post I linked to above) and he said that Microsoft changes the data types by design, it is not a bug. He gave a work-around, but I have yet to see if using the custom M code and then changing all the data types has query performance advantages over creating a conditional column to solve the issue.

DaveRuijter
Advisor

FYI, it seems the data type change bug is no there, I'm not having any issues with that currently.

PFlorenzano Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the input!  So quick question, only the null values are replaced, not all the fields that have no null values correct?

abehrmann Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I am attempting to replace the null values with the values from completion note date in the far left. 

CompletionNotePIC.PNG

Any sugestions?

Highlighted
Aylarja Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

bdymit, thank you for sharing this. This solution is both straightforward and elegant, which I always prefer to approaches that have the look and feel of a hack or a workaround. The only mystery is why, even after all of this time, Microsoft still hasn't integrated this capability into the UI?

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 266 members 2,782 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: