Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

alleckii
Frequent Visitor

Replace exact one null in column.

Hi,

Edit:

I described my problem incorrectly. The data source is MS SQL, after downloading the data to PowerBI, I want to do data transformation in Power Query. One of the columns has missing data (nulls), which I would like to fill with different values. I can't do it in MS SQL because I don't have proper access to DML operations. The problem is that I can't change exactly one cell with a null value. Option replace the value replaces all nulls in the entire column.

I'm facing problem with replacing exact one null in column. Everywhere are tips to use replace with option, but this changes all nulls. After reading many solutions, I started wondering is it even possible to change exact one null. 

Thanks for help!
Alleckii

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@alleckii you can't replace it but you can add a new column in PQ or DAX with a logic that will create the column you need. The logic will require that the row will have something that will distinguish it from the other rows in your table

View solution in original post

claymcooper
Resolver II
Resolver II

Are the values in the other columns unique? Meaning could you create a conditional column (either in Power Query or data view) to add in your value? Something like this: = IF( [unique column] = ABC), 25000$, [Price]

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
claymcooper
Resolver II
Resolver II

Are the values in the other columns unique? Meaning could you create a conditional column (either in Power Query or data view) to add in your value? Something like this: = IF( [unique column] = ABC), 25000$, [Price]

Yes, there are unique values for every row. Conditional column will work for sure. Thanks!

pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @alleckii 

You can try the below code, replace the table and column name with the exact name from your report.

IF(ISBLANK('Table'[Column]),"Replacement Field", 'Table'[Column])

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

It's not what I'm looking for, but that's because I described my problem incorrectly at the begining.

SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@alleckii maybe based on logic that will take account other columns if they differ in a way you can control which null will be replaced.
Can you share an example data and what you want to achieve

I described my problem incorrectly. From the beginning. The data source is MS SQL, after downloading the data to PowerBI, I want to do data transformation in Power Query. One of the columns has missing data (nulls), which I would like to fill with different values. I can't do it in MS SQL because I don't have proper access to DML operations. The problem is that I can't change exactly one cell with a null value. Option replace the value replaces all nulls in the entire column.

This is example of a column that I have in my table:

Price 
 15000$ 
 null 
 10000$ 

null

null 

null

45000$

And this is what I want to achvieve:

Price 
 15000$ 
 null 
 10000$ 

null

25000$ 

null

45000$

@alleckii you can't replace it but you can add a new column in PQ or DAX with a logic that will create the column you need. The logic will require that the row will have something that will distinguish it from the other rows in your table

Just as I thought. Great! Thanks for help!

@alleckii my pleasure 🙂

Check out my showcase report - got some high level stuff there. Sure you will find there a lot of cool ideas. 
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Data-Stories-Gallery/SpartaBI-Feat-Contoso-100K/td-p/2449543
Give it a thumbs up over there if you liked it 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.