Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replace different text, null Values in a column with 0

Hello Everyone,

I have a column in my table which contains text and some numeric values. I don't want to see any text in that column, I just want the numeric values in that column.

The text in the column is not the same always, I have more than 1000 different text in the column along with numeric values. 

Is there any way to replace all text in the column with "0" and keep numeric values as it is?alphanumeric column.jpg

It is not efficient to use replace option or conditional column as there are more than 1000 different text and those text in the column might change in the future.

Please suggest if you have any idea.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Which result are you expecting for the below strings? please kindly elaborate.

.07/2in  (0.07?Or7?)
.14/trace  (0.14? Or 14?)
Trace/0.04  (0.04? Or 0?)
T/.10.1  (10.1?)

Here's attached the sample kindly check the output whether you'd like to get:

Column =
var t = ADDCOLUMNS(ADDCOLUMNS(GENERATESERIES(1,LEN([Precipitation])),"Char",MID([Precipitation],[Value],1)),"IsSymbol",IF(iserror(value([Char])) && [Char] <> ".",TRUE(),FALSE()))
var t1 = ADDCOLUMNS(t,"Group",var v = [Value] return 0+COUNTROWS(FILTER(t,[Value]<=v && [IsSymbol])))
var t2 = SUMMARIZE(t1,[Group],"Nmuber",var g = [Group] return CONCATENATEX(FILTER(t1,[Group]=g && (not [IsSymbol])),[Char],""))
var t3 = ADDCOLUMNS(t2,"ShapeNumber",
var temp = IF(LEN([Nmuber])-LEN(SUBSTITUTE([Nmuber],".",[Nmuber]))>2 && LEFT([Nmuber],1)=".", RIGHT([Nmuber],LEN([Nmuber]-1)),[Nmuber])
return if(LEN(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE([Nmuber],"0",""),".",""))=0,"0",IF(LEFT([Nmuber],1)=".","0"&[Nmuber],[Nmuber]))
)
var minGroup = MINX(FILTER(t3,not ISERROR(VALUE([ShapeNumber]))),[Group])
return MINX(FILTER(t3,[Group] = minGroup),[ShapeNumber])

004.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Which result are you expecting for the below strings? please kindly elaborate.

.07/2in  (0.07?Or7?)
.14/trace  (0.14? Or 14?)
Trace/0.04  (0.04? Or 0?)
T/.10.1  (10.1?)

Here's attached the sample kindly check the output whether you'd like to get:

Column =
var t = ADDCOLUMNS(ADDCOLUMNS(GENERATESERIES(1,LEN([Precipitation])),"Char",MID([Precipitation],[Value],1)),"IsSymbol",IF(iserror(value([Char])) && [Char] <> ".",TRUE(),FALSE()))
var t1 = ADDCOLUMNS(t,"Group",var v = [Value] return 0+COUNTROWS(FILTER(t,[Value]<=v && [IsSymbol])))
var t2 = SUMMARIZE(t1,[Group],"Nmuber",var g = [Group] return CONCATENATEX(FILTER(t1,[Group]=g && (not [IsSymbol])),[Char],""))
var t3 = ADDCOLUMNS(t2,"ShapeNumber",
var temp = IF(LEN([Nmuber])-LEN(SUBSTITUTE([Nmuber],".",[Nmuber]))>2 && LEFT([Nmuber],1)=".", RIGHT([Nmuber],LEN([Nmuber]-1)),[Nmuber])
return if(LEN(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE([Nmuber],"0",""),".",""))=0,"0",IF(LEFT([Nmuber],1)=".","0"&[Nmuber],[Nmuber]))
)
var minGroup = MINX(FILTER(t3,not ISERROR(VALUE([ShapeNumber]))),[Group])
return MINX(FILTER(t3,[Group] = minGroup),[ShapeNumber])

004.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-diye-msft ,

Thank you for your response!

Please find the below  result that I am  expecting for the below strings.

.07/2in  (0.07)
.14/trace  (0.14)
Trace/0.04  (0)
T/.10.1  (0)

I am getting the "the arguments in generateseries function cannot be blank" error when I am trying the use the above DAX formula you shared. Please let me know if I need to make any changes.

Generate series function error.jpg

Thank you!

Hi @Anonymous 

What's the column [PREC_AMOUNT], make sure the column is in the type of text.

If still not help, kindly upload it here. 

quickly.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous may be easy to add a custom column with the following expression and then remove the original column.

try Number.FromText([Column1]) otherwise 0

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k ,

Thank you so much for your response! It worked perfect for text in the columns.

I have Alpha-Numeric values in my column. alphanumeric column.jpg

If I have alpha-numeric values(For example :- 0.69-MM) in column, I have to just show  numeric values(0.69) and remove  text(MM) in the column. Is there a way to achieve this?

@Anonymous try this expression in custom column

Text.Select([Column1], {"0".."9"})

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped. Ask anything Power BI. Book appointment for a free consultancy at https://www.perytus.com

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k ,

Text.Select([Column1], {"0".."9"}) is giving me the below result.

Decimal numbers are now converted to whole numbers. I wanted to see it as decimal numbers.

I do not want to see anything after delimeters(-,/,\,(,_). For example If I have 0.33-5.8R or  1/0.09T or 0.2\0 Zero, I Just want to see numeric vaues(0.33, 1, 0.2) before delimeters.

Text Select.jpg

Data type- Decimal Number.jpg

Thank you for your time😊

@Anonymous paste the sample data with various combinations to further tweak the solution, there are tons of combinations here. Don't paste IMAGE just data in table format so that I can copy and paste at my end.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please find the below sample data

Precipitation
trace
Blank
1%trace
--
R/S
.14/trace
0.03/0.7

.07/2in

0.5(0.18)

0,0002/T
T
T/T
T/.10.1
0.17/1.9
Tot Age
0.03/Trace
Trace/0.04
0.006(0.1)
NA,
0.9/2.5 snow
--
3/0.0.1
0.04/mm

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.