Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replace character when not in a word

Hello all,

This issue has had me going for a few hours now so am turning to the smarter brains of this forum 🙂

I have a column named "discipline" that can contain up to 9 characters along a drawing reference, in the following format:

DrawingDiscipline
WG1234A
WG 125A, C
WG 9090A, C, E, J, K, M, P, S, T
WG 087E

The letterts A, C etc cannot be changed in the raw database so I have to import them as is but I'd like to convert A to Architectural, C to Civil, E to Electrical, etc... for the purpose of filtering (I'd actually like to keep the Discipline column as it is)

The intent being that I then have a slicer with the listing of Architectural, Civil, Electrical and if I select Architectural, it will show in my table all drawings that have A in the Discipline( in the example above that is WG1234, WG 125 and WG 9090)

I have obviously tried to replace values sequentially in power query mode but I end-up with gibberish (A becomes ARCHITECTURAL, but then if E becomes ELECTRICAL I end-up with ARCHITELECTRICALCTURAL...). I have thought of unpivoting the data but I already have a couple million rows and it wouldn't be sustainable.

Any clever solution you can suggest?

Thanks in advance.

OF

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous

Or in fact a leaner version:

MeasureNumDisplayedDrawings2_V2 =
COUNTROWS (
    FILTER (
        'All Documents';
        SUMX (
            FilterTableDiscipline;
            FIND ( FilterTableDiscipline[Discipline]; 'All Documents'[Discipline]; 1; 0 )
        )
            > 0
    )
)

Code formatted with   www.daxformatter.com

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.