Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lilySixteen
Helper III
Helper III

Replace NaN with 0 when creating custom column in Power BI

Hello,

When divided by zero, it generates NaN and infinite value. Can you please help me with how to replace these values with zero when creating custom columns?  The picture below, "Collection in %_June" is a custom column, the current formula is [Collections_June]/[Billings_June] which produces NaN and infinite values when column Billings_June contains zero.

Thanks so much!

1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@amitchandak Yes. please see the error message below when use "DIVIDE" in the custom column. 

1.png

2.png

I just figured out this can be resolved by "if...then...else...". Here is the solution and it worked -

if [Billings_June]=0
then 0
else [Collections_June]/[Billings_June]

Thanks though!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @lilySixteen ,

I assume you are showing these details of Power Query and it is showing NAN or Infinity as [Billings_June]  is 0 in some rows.

SO when you create a Custom Column

Write this

if [Billings_June] <> 0 then  [Collections_June]/[Billings_June] else [Collections_June]

Regards,

Harsh Nathani

Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

@harshnathani Thanks! This has already been resolved before you post your answer. I think your answer would work correctly as well. Thanks though!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@lilySixteen , I can formula is created in power bi, then create like

divide([Collections_June],[Billings_June])

If created elsewhere. Use replace function in power query

https://yodalearning.com/tutorials/learn-how-replace-values-power-query/

You should able search using NaN

@amitchandak Can't use "divide" in the Custom column. The replace value option doesn't work well, after replace "NaN" with "0", there's still NaN values showing in the column.

@lilySixteen , I did not get can not use divide?

Screenshot 2020-07-14 23.08.45.png

This happens because you are using DAX and the question is for M, in PowerQuery. I had the same problem and found this answer by coincidence, it doesn't really solve the problem.

@amitchandak Yes. please see the error message below when use "DIVIDE" in the custom column. 

1.png

2.png

I just figured out this can be resolved by "if...then...else...". Here is the solution and it worked -

if [Billings_June]=0
then 0
else [Collections_June]/[Billings_June]

Thanks though!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.