Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replace NULL with today's date

I have a table in Query Editor that is the result of a lookup for an end date scenario. What I'd like to do is replace the null values with today's date. 

I think I could create a calculated column on the front-end, but that would duplicate my data in a file that's already pretty large.

So to  be clear, I have this:

IDDate
1231/1/2019
234(null)
3451/2/2019

1/3/2019

And I'd like the end result to be this:

IDDate
1231/1/2019
2344/8/2019
3451/2/2019
4561/3/2019

Where the 4/8/19 dynamically changes every day to match today's date.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Figured this out.

1. In Query Editor, select the column and use Replace Values from the Transform ribbon to replace "null" with "1/1/2019" (quotes not used the dialogue). Hit OK.
  2. In the Home ribbon, choose Query Editor and find the "Replaced Value" line just created. Power BI will have interpreted 1/1/2019 as #datetime(2019, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0). Replace that string with DateTime.LocalNow() and hit Done.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
DonnaLouisa
Regular Visitor

Hi wondering if someone can help on the topic above? I've tried the fix but think I'm putting DateTime.LocalNow() in the wrong place as I keep getting an errors in the collum rather than values.

Currently reads:

Table.ReplaceValue(#"Parsed Date","0000-00-00 00:00:00",DateTime.LocalNow(),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Column1.closure_date"})

Can anyone tell me what it should read to replace 0000-00-00 00:00:00 with today's date and time please?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Figured this out.

1. In Query Editor, select the column and use Replace Values from the Transform ribbon to replace "null" with "1/1/2019" (quotes not used the dialogue). Hit OK.
  2. In the Home ribbon, choose Query Editor and find the "Replaced Value" line just created. Power BI will have interpreted 1/1/2019 as #datetime(2019, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0). Replace that string with DateTime.LocalNow() and hit Done.

I tried same but didn't work for me. Any suggestions?

a_m_wood_2-1666565107821.png

How can I get this to give me yesterday's instead of today?

Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value2",null,DateTime.LocalNow(),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"End Time"})

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi David

I followed your solution but did not see any cells with 2019, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0. Therefore couldn't replace the string with the dateTime.LocalNow() Is there something I did wrong/am missing?

Many thanks

James

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

ReplaceDate = IF (DateTable[Date] = blank(), today(), DateTable[Date])

this is in dax. If you don't want to add another column, you may take a look at forum

Worked like a charm.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.