Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mechi
Helper I
Helper I

Replace Multiple Slicer with one Slicer to activate the filter from one table to another

Hello,

I need one more help on slicer, find the below snap for your ref.

Slicer.jpg

BR

Mechi 🔧

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Mechi ,

If the value can only be one of three (T1, T2 or T3).

1. Manually create a table in DAX (answering your other question - I do not know how to transpose column names to a list in DAX 😔😞 

Table 2 = DATATABLE("T_ID", STRING, "Index", INTEGER, {{"T1",2}, {"T2", 4}, {"T3", 8}})

or add "power of two" values to T_IDs in PQ:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCjFUitUBUkYQylgpNhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [T_ID = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"T_ID", type text}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "I", 1, 1),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Index", each Number.Power([I],2), Int64.Type),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"I"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

2. Add Measure to the T_ID table in DAX (Table2 is your T_ID table):

FilterSet = AVERAGEX('Table 2','Table 2'[Index])

3. Add Measure to the main table (Table = your main table):

IndexSum = AVERAGEX('Table', if ([T1]="X", 2, 0) +  if ([T2]="X", 4, 0) + if ([T3]="X", 8, 0))

4. Add another measure to the main table:

Filter = 
var FilterID = MAXX('Table', [IndexSum])
return if (FilterID = 0, 0, int(mod(FilterID, [FilterSet] * 2) / [FilterSet]))

5. Add Filter (measure) to your table visual as a filter and set to "is not 0".

6. Add T_ID from the T_IDs table as slicer visual. Switching values in the slicer will change the table.

I have not tested it, but my gut feeling is that this can be modified to an alternative and, possibly, simpler solution:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/How-to-Use-Slicer-for-Measure-Values/m-p/844449#M28338

Kind regards,

JB

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Please provide sample data to work on

Hi,

I can't able to upload the files in the forum

Instead if possible you can use this list and paste it in an excel, to load in power bi

NumberT1T2T3Avl
5645X XY
3241 XXY
7592   N
1643  XY
2549X  Y
4759   N
6247XX Y
8713 X Y
9437 X N

T_ID
T1
T2
T3

BR

Mechi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mechi,

(for some reason I can't reply as a message).

Sorry for the delay. This is a working version of the PBI model:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CNPyJM2SsGw2v39x7PuWr5KyK0uM63cu

The magic happens in the measures. The main functionality that you are interested in is in the FilterEx measure.

return CONCATENATEx(IndexTable, 
   var FilterFunc = if (FilterID = 0, 0, int(mod([FilterSet], POWER(2, [Value]) * 2) / POWER(2, [Value])))
   var FilterSum = if (FilterID = 0, 0, int(mod([IndexSum], POWER(2, [Value]) * 2) / POWER(2, [Value])))
   return  if (AND(FilterSum,FilterFunc),if([Value]=1, "T1", if([Value]=2, "T2", "T3"))))

For your formula, you most likely would use SUMX instead of CONCATENATEX and some numbers/formulas instead of "T1", "T2" and "T3".

FilterFunc returns 1 or 0 depending on if the value/column name is selected in the slicer. FilterSum returns 1 or 0 depending on if there is the "X" in the relevant column or not.

If you need to change the number of columns, please add/remove ifs in the IndexSum with Power(2,[Index]). E.g. if ([T4]="X", 16, 0) + if ([T5]="X", 32, 0).

Also, alter the IndexTable in the FilterEx. The second argument of the GENERATESERIES() should be equal to the number of columns.

And, of course, the return if (AND(FilterSum,FilterFunc),if([Value]=1, "T1", if([Value]=2, "T2", "T3")))) bit.

This version works with multiple selections on the slicer.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions. I will have more time closer to the end of this week.

Kind regards,

JB

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.