Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jminner

Repeat Survey, Year to Year Comparison

I've seen a couple year to year comparisons, but none seem to match my format.  I appreciate any help that can be provided.

I have a survey that we provide to users each year.  Questions do not change, but number of respondents changes.  I have imported each Excel spreasdsheet as a unique dataset query.

2015 or 2016 Results can be graphed individually using count or % of Grand Total with no issues from their respective queries:

Primary Work Location - 2015Primary Work Location - 2015Primary Work Location 2015 per.JPG

I apended the 2016 rows to the 2015 rows to create a third query, which allowed me to display year to year response counts in the same clustered column chart:

Primary Work Location combined.JPG

But graphing them together provides a calculation error when I try to use % of grand total (grand total incorrectly being the total number of rows for both years):

Primary Work Location combined-per.JPG

How do I get the left column to only calculate percent against 2015 rows, and the right column to calculate against 2016 rows?

Here's an example of Excel chart from last year:

2015 Primary location graph.JPG

In my queries, the first column is the Year of the results (currenty called "Start Date").

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jminner,

According to your description, you may need to create a measure to calculate the  % of Grand Total in this scenario. Could you post your table structure with sample data in this case? It's better to share a sample pbix file. So that we can help with the measure.Smiley Happy

Regards

@v-ljerr-msft,

I have the same question. There is a copy of my data set here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Year-over-year-Survey-comparison/m-p/203906#M89742

Hope you can help with answering this issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors