Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Debbie
Helper I
Helper I

Renaming perspective crashes report

Curious as to whether anybody else has had this issue - or knows how to fix it?

I renamed a perspective in my SSAS data model to make it more intuitive for my users. Now I can't open an existing full-client report that was created with the old perspective name. I get an error message An error occurred while loading the model for the item or data source 'QueryUserError'. Verify that the connection is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source. And PBI hangs completely and I have to exit via Task Manager.

Not a show-stopper right now, but something to bear in mind - need to choose perspective names aerly on and stick with them!

Debbie

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Debbie,

According to the error message, it seems to be that Power BI uses the perspective name as part of the connection string to connect to SSAS. So when the perspective was renamed on source side, Power BI will be not able to connect to SSAS with old connection string.

Do you connect to SSAS with import mode or live? If you're using import mode, could you go to Advanced Editor in Query Editor to see if you can replace the old perspective name with the new one there? Smiley Happy

Regards

Live connection at the moment - although we are switching to import mode at some point, I believe. I'll check that solution out as and when we do, thanks. In the meantime, I'm learning that this is a very difficult product to work with in any kind of agile development as it really doesn't like change!

debbie

Update: The whole perspectives aspect of Visual Studio seems very flaky to me. If I change a perspective, the horizontal scroll bar on the pop-up doesn't work - if i use the vertical scroll bar to the bottom, VS falls over immediately. I have to extend the pop-up manually to see the column I need. Make more than one change and it doesn't save, so I have to mark one tick at a time, then exit the pop-up, save the model and the on to the next one. All very tedious.

Unfortunately, the nature of the model requires several fact tables and the only way to stop users designing reports across multiple fact tables is to use perspectives to limit the data items visible ...

<sigh>

debbie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.