Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Renaming columns by another table and changing the naming without breaking existing reports

Hi,

I have a table (let's call it: rename_table), which is used to rename columns in other tables in a PowerBI report. The "rename_table" contains two columns: original_column_name and new_column_name. The renaming of columns in other tables is done in M-query with:

rename_column = Table.RenameColumns(source, Table.ToRows(rename_table), MissingField.Ignore)

I have the following problem. I want to change the new_column_names (i.e. overwrite the rename_table) without breaking graphs that use the current new_column_names. Is there any way to do it? From my tests I haven’t found a way to do it. Manually renaming the columns is not practical.

All the tables are SQL tables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous If you are changing the column names in PQ , your visuals are going to break, I guess you have to redo this or rename manually which you alredy know is painful. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous If you are changing the column names in PQ , your visuals are going to break, I guess you have to redo this or rename manually which you alredy know is painful. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for a quick answer.

Do you know whether it is possible to build a solution in PowerBI which makes it possible to:

1. rename columns from some source

2. be able to change those rename column names, if needed, so that visuals won't break

Or is the only solution to do it manually?

@Anonymous  unfortunatel afaik it is manual work. 

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.