Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Applicable88
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Rename tables in datamodel (PowerQuery) without impact your existing visuals/measures/calc. tables

Hello,

I thought this was a given. I just oversee another report where I need to change all complicated and long table names (names of the cloud source).

The creator already finished the report and now I need to change the table names in the power query and give the tables a more meaningful name. I really thougth all measure, calculated columns, tables where the table names got used, will also change accordingly to the new name. Now these measures are deactivated and do I really need to do it manually? I think there must be a recognition inside PowerBi Desktop...

Hope someone has a workaround or maybe a tip for me.

Thank you in advance.

Best. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Applicable88 !

I have tested this multiple times directly by changing table / column names in Power Query editor for both type of calculations, complex DAX and simple DAX. 

Both got changed and the measure always show the new table / column names, so it never breaks.

I am using Power BI Desktip April 2021 release. May be some other community member might come up with other ideas.

Regards,

Hasham

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
julienvdc
Helper III
Helper III

Hey I think name changes work if the datamodel is within the report you're working on.

I am facing the same issue when I am working on a report that sources an already loaded and shared datamodel. If we change some table name in the datamodel, then any report using that datamodel will break on visuals that use those tables as they won't find the tables anymore (due to name change).

This was a piece of really important information, thanks for sharing.

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Applicable88,

It works well in my environment.

Please try the latest version of power bi.

If you still have the problem, please share your sample pbix file, that will be a great help.

Best Regards,
Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Applicable88 !

When you change a table name or column name using Power Query editor, and Close & Apply changes, measure will automatically picks up the name table name & column name. You can see the measure DAX accomodates the new changes.

We didn't know what you mean by deactivate measure, is it like incorrect DAX comming for measure.

Regards,

Hasham

Hello @HashamNiaz,

by "deactiveated" I mean they get a warning side in the dax editor, since they cannot find the table anymore.

You have to types of column references : 

1. is full qualified and 2. simple, like this:

First version: sumx( 'Tablename', 'Tablename' [Sales])

and

Second version: sum('Tablename'[Sales]) can actually be written even simpler: sum([Sales])

When I change table name in powerquery the tablename got change for not qualified ones like number two. But for sumx for example only the second part got renamed automatically , the first part of 'Tablename' didn't change after applying the changes.

Hi @Applicable88 !

I have tested this multiple times directly by changing table / column names in Power Query editor for both type of calculations, complex DAX and simple DAX. 

Both got changed and the measure always show the new table / column names, so it never breaks.

I am using Power BI Desktip April 2021 release. May be some other community member might come up with other ideas.

Regards,

Hasham

Hi @HashamNiaz @v-xulin-mstf , thanks for the effort. It's really mind boggling, why it only changed the "simple measures" but not the table name for example in a Sumx(Table1,..... part. 

I will update the lates powerbi. 

Best. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.