cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashmozzart
Frequent Visitor

Rename columns in Power BI in Direct Query mode and Changing the Data source

Hi all,

I am doing power bi reports using Azure SQL DataWarehouse as the Data source using DirectQuery method.Here I got some issues.

1.I tried to rename columns in the Report,It is renaming the columns but the data is not getting Refreshed.It is throwing Error like this:

"This query contains transformations that cannot be used for a live connection"

I found the below link which says its possible.But i cannot refresh the data once i renamed the columns.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/general-question-about-transformations-...

2.If it is possible to rename the columns within Power BI using Direct Query mode,If we change the Data source to another server,Will those renamed columns will automatically reflect in the new report as i am not changing any column names in the original source?

Thanks in Advance,

Ash

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @ashmozzart,

1. I just verified that I can rename the columns and refresh the data successfully with Direct Query mode.

rename.PNG

2. I think so. The rename step will be applied for the new data source as long as the data structures are the same.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are You Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skills Challenge.

Top Solution Authors