Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reza Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Rename column headers in a table

Hi @Ross73312,

This does not work for hierarchy in dimensions. Can change the other measures name but not hierarchy one.

Would be any other way to achieve this?

I am using live connection to multidimensional cube and cannot add any new measure or work any magic with DAX.

Thanks

Alex_ Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Rename column headers in a table

Dynamically updating column names based on a mapping table could be super useful if only the output worked not just with flat Excel tables, but also with Power BI reports and Excel pivot tables!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem so. Strangely enough, this limitation/bug reported in 2015 still seems to be the 'state-of-the-art':

"When you rename a column in the Query Editor of Power BI.., it implicitly triggers the column references in your reports to be updated. However, when you rename columns through some dynamic logic, this mechanism isn't triggered and the column references in reports are broken. ... this looks like a bug - you should send a frown..." [2015]

"When I rename columns it breaks the tables I have made. It says all of the columns in the table are invalid and I have to redrag the newly named columns to get it to work again. Is there a way to get around this?" [2018]

Does anyone know a good workaround to keep column references in the visuals after applying such a bulk rename step to the query?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

We spoke with Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, about his charity work

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 76 members 1,139 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: