cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pstanek Member

Rename column headers in a table

The header is default to be the column/measure name. But I need to change to a different name without needing to change the column/measure name.

I Create measure profit, But I need name of the column that table will decide.

for example . I will calculate two tables  with columns 1) Employee Profit 2) Office Profit

I need to rename the second column -Profit by employees , Profit by offices  etc.

11 REPLIES 11
asocorro Member

Re: Rename column headers in a table

If you don't want to rename your measures, or create new ones with the proper names, as in 

[Employee Profit] = [Profit]

you could create an image with the titles you want and place it above the table.

Connect with me in LinkedIn: https://pr.linkedin.com/in/adolfosocorro
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AdolfoSocorro
ElliotP Member

@pstanek

Easy solution. Click on your visual, go to Format (little painbrush below the Visualisations on offer), Title, Title Text. You can change it to anything you want and it won't impact your back end setup!

Moderator v-sihou-msft

@pstanek

In Power BI Desktop, the header only takes the data field. We can't modify the Column Header in visual format. It only supports changing Font color, Background color and Outline.

89.PNG

For your requirement, the best workaround is adding "dummy" measures/columns with expected names as @asocorro suggestd.

You can also submit a feature request on Ideas: https://support.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi

Regards,

taumirza Member

Hi,

I dont see any column header property for table in the properties pane.

I tried selecting whole table.

is it the property of the table only...?

is it not there in the version um using, 2.31.4280.361 64-bit (January, 2016)...?

Thanks in advance.

modi123p Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I do not want to rename columns or measures.

However can I make part of the header change dynamically... with a parameter ..etc?

For example I want to include Year info in the column header(this will change every week)

Profit 2016 (for Current Year)

Profit 2015 (for Last year)

Profit Week 10 Year 2016

Profit Week 10 Year 2015

It wouldn't be possible to create an image etc.. as even this would change.

gvg Member

@ElliotP wrote:

@pstanek

Easy solution. Click on your visual, go to Format (little painbrush below the Visualisations on offer), Title, Title Text. You can change it to anything you want and it won't impact your back end setup!

In this case you only add Title, you do not change Column title. But it is a good idea. You only need to hide Column titles and shift visual Title so that it matches your columns. I then make Column headers white font as there is no option not to display them at all.

doktorg Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

how did you go with this? Did you get it to work?

I managed to get dynamic columns names using this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34858733/dynamically-rename-a-set-of-columns-using-power-query

But unfortunately when you add it to the report, once the column name changes the report breaks because it's expecting the previous column name Smiley Sad

Highlighted
doubs Visitor
Visitor

FYI for those still looking for a solution to this - you can rename the headers by double clicking on the name of the measure under 'Values', which will allow you to edit the name

Super User
Super User

Yes, this was a feature inclusion that came after this particular thread.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!