Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing few characters from rows

I have a column that contains versions of phones. It contains the following rows:

ios 8.3 (0.03K)

IOS 9.3.1 (1.49 k)

IOS 10.1

Android 5.0.1

Android 1.4.2 (OK)

IOS 9.3.2 (OK)

I have about 1 Million rows of data. I want to remove everything except IOS  or Android. Is there a way i can achieve it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi @Anonymous

You can do this with a Conditional Column in Query Editor

AddConditionalColumn.png

And if you have problem with Android and ANDROID (Case sensitive) (Following @ImkeF suggestion)

you can modify the M Code to:

IgnoreCaseSensitive.png

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the help everyone. But in a column that has both Android and IOS following the versions. I just want to create a column that specifies, whether it is an Android or an IOS operating system.

So my results should something like this:

IOS

IOS

IOS

Android

Android

IOS

Instead of:

ios 8.3 (0.03K)

IOS 9.3.1 (1.49 k)

IOS 10.1

Android 5.0.1

Android 1.4.2 (OK)

IOS 9.3.2 (OK)

Is there a DAX query for that, or any other way to do it?

@Anonymous

Hello, To understand your Question, What is the difference between my answer and the result expected?.

Lima - Peru
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I tried to do what you suggested and succeeded. Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it. Cat Happy

I just wanted to understand, what if there were Blank values in the column and I want to include that along with Android and IOS. Is there a way to do that too?

@Anonymous

You can add a new condition in the Conditional Column to IOS. ---> IOS And ELSE Condition  leave blank or enter "Other OS".

Lima - Peru
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for sharing the information. I really appreciate it

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi @Anonymous

You can do this with a Conditional Column in Query Editor

AddConditionalColumn.png

And if you have problem with Android and ANDROID (Case sensitive) (Following @ImkeF suggestion)

you can modify the M Code to:

IgnoreCaseSensitive.png

Lima - Peru
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

In the query-editor, add a step to your table:

Filter = Table.SelectRows(<NameOfThePreviousStep>, each Text.Contains([MyColumn], "IOS", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase) or Text.Contains([MyColumn], "Android", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase))

This is hand-edited code from the standard-filter from the table-header, as you probably want a case-insensitive match here?

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

you can filter in the query editor

ie.  drop down the column you want with the arrow key like ive done on product and click on text filters and select contains

Capture.PNGdd

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.